Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A week ago I fitted new shocks on the back of my 307.
The new ones were about 2 inches shorter than the original ones when fully extended.

I used a trolley jack under the springs to compress them just a little to relieve the tension and remove the old shocks but when I put the new ones on I had to compress the springs about 2 inches further to get the new shocks on, so the shocks once fitted were holding the springs under compression.

Once dropped to the ground the springs would normally compress somewhat but I'm not sure they compress a full two inches, I suspect the shock may still be holding the springs compressed slightly and therefore lowering the rear of the car a little.

I probably should have returned the shocks to the shop but I was impatient to get the car running again and had damaged the old shocks getting the metal mounts off the top.

I think that when driving the rear is a little stiffer and road bumps can be felt more but the cars been off the road for months so I'm a little out of touch with how it should feel.

Is this bad, should I remove the shocks asap and fit ones the same length as the old ones?

Also, I like the idea of lowering the car a little. If I got lowering springs would the smaller shocks likely be OK with them? I have zero experience with lowering cars.

The shocks I bought are here

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guys can anyone help?

The supplier of the shock absorbers say they are the correct ones but they were definitely about 2 inches shorter than the ones I took off (when fully extended).

Is it necessary to compress the rear springs between 2 and 3 inches in order to fit the shocks usually? Or does this indicate the shocks are too short?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I compared the overall length. I'm almost certain the body was the same length so the difference would have been in the rod length.

P.S. Would you normally need to compress the springs so much or would you change them with the car on its wheels so the springs are already compressed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts