Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,

This morning the warning "parking assistance system fault" came up and so the rear parking sensors have stopped working. :confused:

Quick check of the sensors and not dirty. I know the black box that controls these are in the boot near the spare wheel. Initial thoughts were that the tyres were changed a couple of weeks ago including the spare so perhaps some damage was done. Had a look and water in the boot where spare wheel is, small puddle. Not surprised due to all this rain. The box look wet so I guess this is the cause.

Firstly any ideas how water could get in and or should there be a drain hole in the boot, maybe blocked.

Secondly I think I may need to dry the black box, best way, WD40..etc..or it may be f*****. :(

Cheers chaps.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just remembered....a couple of months ago I took out the rear light cluster to change a bulb. May not be flush fitting I suspect to could be source of water leak. Will have a look later/in the day light. :mad:

Just need to sort the rear parking sensors now..... :confused:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had a good look this evening.

Took spare wheel out and approx 2cm deep pool of water in the bottom. Not good. Had a look around the light clusters and all dry so no sign of water seeping in there.

There is a rubber bung to the off side rear above the black box of electrics just above the spare wheel. This is where a cluster or cable go from the black box, out through the bumper and I presume to the rear parking sensors. This bung is loose and I think where the water has been getting in. I think must have been done last year when the rear bumper was replaced by the insurance company when somebody rear ended me on the motorway.

Had a good look underneath and can't see any other areas where water could get in.

So I filled around the bung with clear sealant so hopefully will stop the water.

Dried out the boot and around the black box and cables. Sprayed a nice covering of WD40 all around the cables and the box in an attempt to dry it out.

Out into reverse and still have the "parking assistance system fault". So now hoping it will dry out and start to work again.

·
Registered
14,551 Posts
Best thing to do is get another control unit if it has been wet then its probably not going to work again might be worth putting a small hole in the lowest point in the wheel well to allow any water to get out in future :)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
My 406 had a boot leak. I sorted that, and I drilled a hole in the boot floor in case it did it again.
It was the only way I could get the 19 litres of water out!

·
Registered
909 Posts
My 407 has two small holes in the boot from the last owner, they had a towbar fitted and ran wire thru the grommet the number plate light runs thru, long story short that grommet is mangled and i get water ingress thru there. If you do drill a hole use some of the bosses clear nail varnish to seal the metal work

sent from my non apple product usin free autoguide.com

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies chaps. Yes drilling a hole in the bottom is a good idea to drain any water, if my sealant I put in doesn't work.

New controller...anybody know if this is the controller in the boot near the spare wheel? Any idea of cost or ok to buy second hand? Are they easy to just unplug, replace and re-plug cables back in or need programming?

This is where the water (I think) has been coming in. You can just see the cables on the right going out to the bumper, where the bung was loose. I've packed with sealant.

·
Registered
909 Posts
i think that is the controller, my 407 doesnt have sensors and i dont have that control box. Where your sealant is is exactly where mine leaks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think that is the controller, my 407 doesnt have sensors and i dont have that control box. Where your sealant is is exactly where mine leaks.
Thanks, at least I know I may have sorted the leak then :thumb:

Just need to sort out the error and new controller. I am thinking of removing it and trying to dry it out in the airing cupboard like you can do with a mobile phone when water damaged. :eek::crazy:

·
Registered
909 Posts
i have heard and seen stranger things, my dad (trem) had to rinse his 407 key under a tap because he went swimming in a lido with it in his pocket. It dried out and started workin after a few weeks/months.
Its defo worth drying out, also get in touch with your local dealers and ask how much a new control module will be, try the like of eurocarparts aswell, and keep an eye open in your local breakers yards

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have heard and seen stranger things, my dad (trem) had to rinse his 407 key under a tap because he went swimming in a lido with it in his pocket. It dried out and started workin after a few weeks/months.
Its defo worth drying out, also get in touch with your local dealers and ask how much a new control module will be, try the like of eurocarparts aswell, and keep an eye open in your local breakers yards
yeah worth a try. have seen on line between £50-£120

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:help:

Well spraying WD40 on it hasn't got it working. I will remove the black box tomorrow and keep it in the airing cupboard until next weekend and then see if it gets it working again.

If not then it's a 2nd hand box. Any idea the best place to get one, as can't find them on line anywhere, only on fleabay and then not guaranteed they will be working. Is it just as simple case of unplug, remove, bolt on new box and plug cables back in or need re-programming? Bit hesitant to do this if I will then have other ECU problems.... :confused::(

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Hi mate,

Its a 56 reg, 407 2.0 HDi 136 SE, 4 door...in blue :thumb:
Peugeot part, this is nearest one without vin, theres 6 to choose from but this is most likely one;
00006590L7 ELECTRO UNIT 185.88 GBP ex vat 223.06 GBP inc vat

how much!!!! I fitted a diy kit with colour screen and voice over for £15 maybe £45 here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cheers mate. Yeah brand new are quite pricey. I saw the one on fleabay aswell. I'll take it off this morning and leave in a warm place for a week and see what happens.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm..this is turning out to be a niggling problem testing my patience.:mad:

Opened the boot and yep, nice puddle of water in the spare wheel well again. I've put more sealant around the bung where I thought the water was coming in. Will see if thats a better job otherwise it may be coming in from else where. :confused:

Removed the black box which has two cable plug connectors in. The smaller one I removed with a bit of force. The second larger one will not budge. I spent a good hour trying to remove it, even a neighbour tried. Nope, will not budge. Pushing, pulling it just would not budge. Didn't want to risk breaking the connector so I've put the box back on.

Looks like it's a main stealer job. :nono:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I had water in the boot, was caused by an ill fitting light cluster. Refitted and no more water. The cluster is the same shape as the body so the contours need to match snugly for the seal to work.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had water in the boot, was caused by an ill fitting light cluster. Refitted and no more water. The cluster is the same shape as the body so the contours need to match snugly for the seal to work.
Hmm..interesting. I did remove the nearside cluster a few months ago to replace a bulb. Think I'll have a look this morning. Thanks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts