Peugeot Forums banner

Rear Exhaust Box Bracket / strap

13K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  dai m 
#1 ·
Hi,

Ive noticed recently that the metal strap / bracket which holds the rear exhaust box of my 207 has become heavily corroded. Ive had a quote from the Peugeot delaers of around £260 to fix this, but I think this is a price to replace the whole rear box along with the strap.

I just wondered if there was a cheaper way of fixing this, as the exhaust itself seems to be in good condition, it is just the strap which is corroded. Id say the strap is probably beyond a welded repair, so I was hoping I could just replace the strap and keep the exhaust box? It seems a shame to get rid a perfectly good exhaust box just for the sake of a small strap, and I could really do without spending £260 on the car!

Ive read a couple of threads on here saying that you may not have to replace the whole box, and Ive seen a strap / bracket online (see link below). I was thinking of buying this strap and getting a local repair shop to fit it for me. Would this get the car through its MOT?

MB7 Peugeot 207 Rear Exhaust Silencer Box Strap - Exhaust Repair - Clampco UK

Thanks for any help!

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks ok as long as it fits and doesnt rattle about. Which I'd imagine would be more irritating than potentially dangerous.
I had a diesel Saxo with a Magnex after market back box on, the hanger rubbers where too long. I zip tied them both up to make them squash up shorter. So it brought the back box up higher to the rear bumper. I made sure they were safe and didnt allow too much movement. It passed MOTs fine with them on.

#3 ·
I had this on my last 307. I just got a new back box from Euro Car Parts.

Its a rubbish design, the mount rusts away long before the exhaust goes.

I think there's an aftermarket strap you can get off Ebay though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.