Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was complaining of a rattling sound from the rear of the car.

On closer inspection I've found that both rear coil springs have broken right at the bottom. See picture.

Not sure if this has caused any damage or not?

Can she continue to drive or do they need replacing straight away?

Just wondering what the typical cost of replacement would be?

If I try and replace myself what sort of job is it like to do on a 2002 model?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'd advise doing them straight away. Not a particularly tricky or expensive job. Couple of springs should be less than £60.
Jack the car up at the rear and support on axle stands either side.
Using a trolley or bottler jack lift the rear axle a bit to and then undo the bolts securing each shock absorber to the beam axle, new nuts should be used on refitting. Slowly lower the jack to release the tension in the springs.
Pop in the new spring, ensure they are located properly, use the jack again the compress the spring so you can reattach the shocks. Check Haynes for torque. All done.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
As previously advised, they are one of the easier jobs to do on a 307. Braking at the bootom coil does seem to be a common thing these datys as renegade says. I had front springs snap at the same place but because of the McPherson struts, they fronts are a little more involved.

If you are handy with the spanners then with the help of a Haynes manual or similar you should be able to do them in half a day while still having more than enough coffee breaks.

I know a lot of people do not rate the Haynes manuals and there are some omissions but I have found them to be invaluable for self maintaining my cars. Everytime I have bought a new & different car I have bought the Haynes for it. The 307 manual helped me through a clutch change and timing belt change. Even if it only helps you find that one bolt that's hidden away it has paid for itself in saved time and garage costs :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is definitely a common problem on Pugs. Just had to replace both of mine and a neighbour has had all 4 go on his 307. The rears are a simple job with just basic tools. £45.58 inc VAT from local factors. The only possible problem is corroded bolts at the shockers; a pre soak with "plus gas" the night before will help.

Jack the car both sides as high as possible and put axle stands under the rear of the sills. Then jack under one shock mounting and lift slightly. Remove the nut of the shock bolt and jack further until the bolt will come out easily. Same other side then both sides are free to be levered down against the twist of the main bushes and the springs just lift out. Check the plastic seating for the bottom of the spring isn't chewed too much.

Lever the suspension down and pop both new springs in. Jack up one side until the bolt will slide in and fit the new nut but don't fully tighten yet. Same for the other side then lower the car off the axle stands/jacks so the weight is back on the wheels and finally torque up the 2 nuts. If you have a pair of ramps to back onto it will make access for the final tightening easier.

The torque setting is 57 Nm (42 lbs ft. which equates to as tight as reasonably practical with a normal 1/2 drive socket if you don't have a torque wrench)

One final point is having had both front springs let go on our previous 306 I would advise changing those as well in view if the age - each time those went roughly mid spring and wrecked the tyre as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My front off side went on New Years Day, went in the night just sat on the drive and took the tyre out. They were first done at 51000 and lasted just 20000 miles/4 years. Rear went with a huge bang driving home, in April. That cost me £170 (fitted) as I went for genuine Peugeot parts. Other option was £110 (fitted). Fronts were £345. I do 5000k a year on mainly flat dual carriageways.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Both the fronts went on ours while sitting on the drive! 1 went and the other then went when I was jacking up the other side! 142000 though so did well and no tyre damage. Cost me £80 for Sachs springs and fitted them myself so saved a bit there.

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is worrying me a little.

I do alot of miles on my 2.0 hdi estate. 8000 miles in the last 3 months. The car had all springs replaced a few years ago so likely had 15000 miles on them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine was serviced and MOT'd 4 weeks prior to the rear going. There was no indication it was going to go and I didn't expect it after less than 4 years. AA had to recover mine when the front went, siad very common on Peugeot's. Don't know why.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts