Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
6,311 Posts
I just jack up and put on axle stands then undo lower shock mounts and axle drops down enough to remove springs (always recommended that you change the pair) then trolley jack under spring platform and jack up to refit shock bolts

·
Registered
15 Posts
+1

you have to undo both shocks to get the axle down enough so may as well do both springs together. had to do mine for last mot, both were broken :confused:

doddle of a job :D

·
Registered
903 Posts
Agree with everything above,just one more tip.
If you have been driving with a broken spring rattling around,it's possible for one of the plastic spring mounts to fall out and get lost.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Trouble is one side will be tighter and make the car sag in one side

Taking both shock bolts off and letting the subframe drop is the best way

If the spring is broken it makes it a lot easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would have done the pair
But some people just want to get back up running again at less cost
Cannot believe how many mot failures are because of broken springs
Saw a car with all four broken ... how do you not know when your driving ?
Ignorance ? or just adapt your driving style

Why they haven't cured the broken spring steel fault ?
Might get better now as China has stopped importing our old plastic ?
Big business for garage mechanics / parts / spring manufacturers ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I knew something was wrong with ours just couldn't see anything wrong.

when it failed the mot and I took the old springs off and compared them to new ones I could see that the bottom ends had come off both springs - I guess they are lying by the side of a road somewhere :D - as the ends had broken in more or less the same place and fallen off, both sides of the car looked the same to me.

So it was a case of me not really knowing what I was looking at.

bit funny they both failed around the same point and time, does make you wonder.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Its amazing what spring debris you seen strewn on roundabouts and in the guttering in motorways

Lets all be thankful of the yearly MOT
In my opinion all cars should be tested after 12 months old
Seen brand new cars fail ( taxi tests )
Seen 2 year old cars well over 100,000 and in poor repair / service
never mind wait another year till it can be tested

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have changed springs singly many times, and the car hasnt sagged to one side.
I have often found broken road springs, with the break near the end of the coil, and not seen anything amiss until the car has gone up on the lift, and the customer has reported nothing wrong either.

On the other hand I had an Oldsmobile Station Wagon (estate car) with sagging rear springs. To get round this in a hurry because it would take a while to get new ones, I put a pair of springs from a small car (I can't remember which) inside the originals and put them back on. It brought the ride height back to where it should be, and surprisingly had little effect on the ride quality. It also helped immensely with towing and heavy loads. So I left it alone, it was still fine when I sold the car five years later.

Roger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts