Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just a minor annoyance with my 207. The driver's side rear brake has started squeaking when applied. Even more annoying when I am slowing down for a junction.

I have had a bit of a search and have seen people mentioning copper grease between piston and calliper. However I have the 1.4vti so I have Drum Brakes on the back.

Does anyone have any pointers as to what to look for etc...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi all,

Just a minor annoyance with my 207. The driver's side rear brake has started squeaking when applied. Even more annoying when I am slowing down for a junction.

I have had a bit of a search and have seen people mentioning copper grease between piston and calliper. However I have the 1.4vti so I have Drum Brakes on the back.

I read some garages use it and some don't also Copper grease is old hat and not used in brake assembly anymore, it melts, it's conductive of electricity and causes problems with some modern brake electronics.

find this
Copper grease does nothing too stop squealing and if it does it short lived as the grease just push's out with the force
Squealing means there is something else that's an issue for example cheap sub standard pads
Copper grease is very old school and not really needed also the use of copper grease just attracts dirt and brake dust
Another thing to note is that copper grease should not be in contact with anything aluminum as it reacts with the aluminum

I also find a link for you

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/276953-copper-grease-or-not-on-brakes/

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi all,

Might just need checking/cleaning.Need to take rear drums off,(think it's a 36m.m. socket) and get new hub nuts.As for copper grease you can put some on any surface that is steel against steel but avoid any pad/contact surface.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In case anyone else has this issue, there are 6 contact points inside each drum which the shoes slide over (3 points per shoe, roughly at the top middle and bottom). As the shoes move they can rub on these and this is normally what causes the squeaking.

With the shoes still in place, slightly lever out the brake shoes and apply copper grease (or other suitable lubricant) to these 6 contact points. You'll only have a small opening to get into, I found a slightly bent spark plug feeler gauge worked quite well.

As others have mentioned, try not to get grease on the shoe material and if you do make sure to clean it off.

Make sure to check for any lips inside the drums and sand/grind these off if any are there.

Oh and as the other post suggested the rear hub nuts are 36mm.

I've just done this on my 1.4vti sport as I had to replace one of the wheel cylinders as it had seized.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts