Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2016 Traveller and would like to carry bikes on the back, preferably without fitting a tow bar. The Thule BackPac seems to be recommended on some sites, but others say the tailgate isn’t strong enough. Has anyone used one, or got an alternative? I don’t want the bikes to hang off the rack, as they’re full sus MTBs and don’t fit hanging racks well. Peugeot won’t commit to an answer. Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
With Mountain bikes often being about 15kg, weight is a worry if you are moving 3-4 bikes. I use a very nice tilting tow ball mounted Thule rack which I share with a couple of relatives. When that is not available (because somebody else is using it) we have found that if packed carefully, including removing wheels, we can get 4 people and four mountain bikes inside the car. It is a bit tight but can be done if the entire 3rd row and the 2nd row single seat are removed, which admittedly can be a pain to do.

A left field suggestion. Do a search for the rear bike racks that people fit on VW transporters where there seems to be multiple manufacturers with door mounted bike racks where the bike rests on its wheels rather than being suspended by its top tube. Some of those racks also rest on the vehicle bumper to spread the weight. I suspect some of VW designed racks will fit a Traveller, Spacetourer or ProAce verso.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Yobbo. I’m sure there are some racks that will work and a VW-style would be best. But Peugeot and manufacturers won’t confirm. It sounds like I’ll need to fit a towbar.

·
Registered
93 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts