Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Really loud knocking noise from engine, she don't sound too clever!!

Started it up yesterday and there is a horendous knocking coming from what sounds like the top of the engine and lots of black smoke out the back. Doesn't sound too bad at all when it idling but as soon as you give it some revs there's a god awful noise!! It's like metal tapping metal and it gets faster as the revs get higher, snapped cam shaft maybe?? Any ideas would be appreciated as to what it might be.

How difficult is it to get a look at the to of the engine on one of these?

1998 306 1.9DT

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plenty of oil in it, blue smoke too, not black as I said before. Just waiting for a video to upload to youtube and then I'll post the link.

Will say it doesn't sound like it's coming from the bottom end though. Got me head near the engine and it deffo sounds like top end too me

·
Registered
41 Posts
Chris_300 said:
Plenty of oil in it, blue smoke too, not black as I said before. Just waiting for a video to upload to youtube and then I'll post the link.

Will say it doesn't sound like it's coming from the bottom end though. Got me head near the engine and it deffo sounds like top end too me
Sorry to say mate, I looked at the YouTube clip, and I still rekon its your big end bearings. It maybe down to a failed/blocked Oil pump.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Derv, I was thinking it was terminal so I got a 90k miler for £150. Pick it up tomoz hopefully.

Is there a way to check it is the big end bearings though? I'm a stingey get when it comes to monkey motors so I'll do the cheapest fix lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Chris_300 said:
Cheers Derv, I was thinking it was terminal so I got a 90k miler for £150. lol
At that price , break whoevers arm thats selling it! The hassle of the stripdown and the cost of the parts aren't worth it, cos ur lookin at probably needing the crank journals reground then fitting new shell bearings, etc....

I had to strip a Toyota Paseo engine to find that out! then couldn't get a 1.5 engine here in N.I. at reasonable money so it got a 1.3 corolla engine because the engine repairs could have totaled over £500. (needing cylinders honed, Crank reground, shell Bearings, Piston rings......I could spend all day trying to list....)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fair enough lol, engine change it is!!

Only done one on a little Astra before so any pointers on the pug. Can the lump come out the top fairly easy?? Looks like the gearbox may be a little tight.

Took the cam cover off today and it all looks good, so looks like the noise must be bottom end

1 - 11 of 11 Posts