Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.6 HDi and am getting a little concerned about emissions. Main worry is resale value - I'm a capitalist not an environmentalist! I can't seem to find any data on real world emissions. Am I right I'm thinking the HDi engines are not new? There were some figures for the old 3008 (not great at all tbh) but I think they were pre adblue.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Real world emissions are affected more by servicing and use more than any amount of addblue EGR DPF or any other so called green tech.

Second and third owners are not really concerned about emissions all they care about is the real cost of ownership IE fuel consumption TAX insurance etc

·
Registered
620 Posts
£20/year tax.. and 57-67mpg. 1.6 BlueHDi is Euro6. For running costs I think mine is about as low as you can get realistically.

Petrol cars will have GPF soon enough and by the time the car is replace hybrid/battery will be established.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
My clio is £20 to tax no DPF to worry about and does 70 mpg :)

Electric is the future hybrid is pointless but neither will really gain any ground until the oil runs dry the oil companies will make sure of that there have been many electric and hybrid cars over the last 20 years but they are still a niche market with low residuals as the secondhand buyers dont really want them

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess what I'm concerned about is that road tax will be CO2 and NOx based, also some cities are considering diesel bans. Although politically I can't see this happening very soon so probably nothing to worry about. Interesting that Mercedes are recalling all of their recent (Cat 5 & 6) Diesel cars to tweak their emissions systems.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I guess what I'm concerned about is that road tax will be CO2 and NOx based, also some cities are considering diesel bans. Although politically I can't see this happening very soon so probably nothing to worry about. Interesting that Mercedes are recalling all of their recent (Cat 5 & 6) Diesel cars to tweak their emissions systems.
Mayors of major cities aren't targeting Euro6 diesels (yet) which are considerably cleaner than the old 4 and 5 versions, particularly in the area of NOx emissions.
However France and the Scandinavian countries have made it clear that time is running out in the medium to long term.
Graphene is a disruptive force which has exciting prospects over the next decade and BEVs will have the infrastructure also by then, I expect.
Time's running out for me, at least, so waiting for an affordable battery electric crossover is not feasible, otherwise I'd be happy to go electric.
You wouldn't need to 'run' an engine for updates either.......something that might convince dealerships the the BEV isn't so bad after all.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The big downside of BEVs for dealers would be their reliability and long service intervals. I think they'd have to change their business models accordingly!
Exactly!
Out here sales margins are extremely tight and are only made up with finance, servicing and parts profits.
BEVs are to dealerships what Amazon is to shopping malls I suspect.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Now why would I not expect the eureaucrat idiots to come up with that excuse.
There is far too much 'fiddling' and 'back-handers' with the likes of the German motor industry and the so called 'passive representatives' in the EU.
Just look at the joke VW made of diesel emissions 2015 and yet the EU defended them left/right and bloody centre. :nono:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You get the impression the German auto industry runs EU industry policy Mike.
Maybe I'm just being a tad cynical though :rolleyes:
Absolutely Dave. Merkel knows full well she has to keep her Motor industry happy, especially as she pulls the EU's strings.;)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
In that case it sounds like we can expect a free trade Brexit deal. The last thing the motor industry wants is tariffs.
Oh so very true Ian.

Okay, back on topic..... what is it we're meant to be talking about????? Ahh yes, Real World Diesel Emissions. :D

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
HDI engines have been around for a long, long time but todays HDI engines are a totally different beast to those of even just 10 years ago. The principal is the same, you compress the fuel air mixture enough to heat it up to it's flash point and it goes boom but the mixtures are different, there is recirculation and then there are the external components to clean out what the current 'self proclaimed' world government deems undesirable out of the exhaust gasses.

Just as soon as the engine manufacturers have redesigned & tweaked the engines to meet the latest standards they'll find something else to impose on the industry. As for all those preaching the coming saviour of the car industry in the all electric vehicle, well - the electricity needs to be generated and very few places provide free charging points.

But back to the original point. I suspect that asking about the emissions on a used car is likely to be low down on the priority list for buyers. The top of the list will be more likely what's the price, how much are you willing to drop that price, service history, fuel economy and insurance costs. Following those will be..... how many miles has it done, if a high miler has the timing belt has been replaced, has it been involved in any accidents, is it HPI clear, what extras it has (read what toys does it have) then maybe what's the emissions :)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
...As for all those preaching the coming saviour of the car industry in the all electric vehicle, well - the electricity needs to be generated and very few places provide free charging points..
That's why I think the future is the hydrogen-fuelled electric vehicle, perhaps even a mild hybrid to capture the energy lost when braking. Service stations would need to provide refuelling capabilities, but the electricity to manufacture the liquid H2 could run on wind, wave and tidal power, as long as the supply system had enough H2 storage to get over periods of low wind and calm seas.

There would still be emissions, in the processes of manufacturing the vehicles and the infrastructure, but at least the cities air would be clean.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It'd be interesting to read the T model Ford Forum and count the number of complaints about there being no freeways or gas stations with fast food outlets .
The obvious question is, why didn't they build that first........hmmm:rolleyes:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Electric is the future hybrid is pointless
You might think like that living in a densely populated country, but if you look at the map of some of the Northern European countries where you find places where the closest house is more than 100 km away - let alone the closest gas station. I can easily carry a couple of jerrycans of diesel with me that can give me extra 800 km of range - can I do the same with electric?

When the range of electric starts to be higher than 600-800 km I can agree that a hybrid is not needed - until that, it certainly is not pointless.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.