Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 55 plate 307 about a month ago and over the past few weeks when I turn the engine on and off there's like a rattling as if something isn't fastened on properly underneath, maybe in the steering?

When I bought the car it had just been MOT'd and the only advisory was there is play in the joints. I took it to a different garage and 3 different mechanics looked at it and said there was nothing wrong with it and to see if it gets any worse over the next few weeks. Also the joint isn't bad enough to sort out yet and there's always going to be a bit of play in it due to speed bumps etc. the drop links are also fine which I asked them to check as I know this is common for needing to be changed in Peugeots!

Has anyone ever had this in a Peugeot before?

Any advice would be very greatful!

Thanks,
Kirsty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Alan :) I'm a bit rubbish, never used one of these before!

Yes mines a 1.6 diesel too! Ah right ok I'll get them to check that out! Sometimes it doesn't even rattle then other times it's quite loud and noticeable, but you can't hear in from the outside of the car or when you listen to the engine, only when you're sat inside!

Was the crack in the exhaust expensive to fix?

Kirst

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Hi

If you are keen you could open the bonnet at the front you will see a large metal thing attached to the engine just behind the radiator if you tap it and its loose that's probably it you could not hear mine in the car either

Good luck and congrats on the new car

Allan

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
593 Posts
Carnt hear it from outside?
Hmmmm. My 307 2.0 has a metal clip where the steerin arm goes into the floor that rattles. Look at the pedal area. The bar that spuns wen turnin wheels. Has a metal clip at bottom. Check that

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha I have to keep turning the radio up to drown out the sound of the wheel bearing aswell! And to make things worse, my grandad broke my key at the weekend!

It's going back into the garage this week to see if a guy who used to work at Peugeot knows what is up with it!

Can't believe I've only had it a month and things are going wrong already!

·
11,725 Posts
There are a few members with Peugeot diagnostic equipment around Wigan, so you're well catered for if you need assistance without the Peugeot price tag!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all very much for your help!

I have now had the problem diagnosed ... the rear engine mount is loose and the rubber has wore away so it's metal banging on metal and that's what the awful sound is! The only problem now is that the guy I bought it off is being an aukward bugger and said that if I want it doing then I have to pay myself as that part of the engine isn't under warranty! The thing is, the wheel bearing also needs doing, the electric windows keep sticking and I need 2 new tyres on the front! I've only had it now for about 6 weeks and when I've looked at the Sale of Goods Act, it says that if anything goes wrong with the car within 6 months of buying it, the seller is responsible to fix it.

Can anyone please give me any advice on this?

Kirsty

·
11,725 Posts
Is it a dealer? Although the sale of goods act does say certain things, they don't necessarily apply to older second hand cars.

But the good news is we can do most of the jobs cheaply enough.

You can get a replacement POWERFLEX lower engine mount for under £30 and I'm sure one of the lads round here would be happy to help. I'll even give a hand.

Sticky windows will be down to a bit of maintenance and lubrication.

Two new tyres shouldn't cost you much, depending on brand. Blackcircles, Tesco, Asda all do tyres at brilliant prices.

Not done a wheel bearing myself, any ideas chaps?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, I've posted on the site to see if I can do anything about it!

I was driving to work this morning and the engine light came on and said 'anti pollution faulty' It's just no end of problems, I'm so fed up right now :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts