Peugeot Forums banner

Random "Clunk" sound when driving over bumps 306 XR

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Tiller 
#1 · (Edited)
I have had a sound in my 1999 Peugeot 306 XR for a while now. It has not been getting any worse or better.
When i drive over bumps in the road, especially speed bumps, i sometimes hear a clunk. Usually a "clunk--clunk".

It is totally random when it happens. For example on my way to work i have to drive over a series of five speed bumps.
One day there is no sound going to work, then on the way home i can hear a "clunk" on all five bumps.
The day after i can only hear a clunk on one or two of the bumps.

Another thing i can add is that if i hold the parking brake lever when the "clunk" sound appears, i can definitely feel some movement/vibration in the lever.

Anyone that has had this problem?

#2 ·
Is the clunk coming from the front or the rear?

What size tyres do you have on the back axle? Maybe jack up back of car and check that tyre isn't fouling the body. Have you very uneven tyre wear on the back axle. Inside of tyre worn way more than outside.

If its the front, jack up the car check for play in balljoints, trackrods. Check for bad drop links, look at all rubber bushing for worn condition.
Take the car to an empty parking lot drive around in a circle full lock both directions to check cv's.

#3 ·
The sound seems to come from the rear of the car. And it comes when the rear tires go over the speed bumps.
I have now original rims and wheels for the winter. The tires are evenly wear.

As i mentioned i can feel movement in the park brake lever when the sound appears... Do not know if that tells you anything

#5 ·
Well those two points are connected by handbrake cables. Check that cable are securely mounted in place, no clips/brackets missing.
Are tyres properly inflated?

Maybe check rear axle bushings. Shock mounts.
Check for play in rear wheels.

#7 ·
I have had some time exploring the sound now. It turned out to be that the self adjuster one the right drum barke was stuck. So there was excessive slack one the left hand brake cabel.
So i guess that when driving over speed bumps ect. it mase the cable pull a bit.

I have fixed the self adjuster and adjusted the parking brake, so now it runs like normal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.