Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any knowing DIYer who works on his or her 407 will know of the difficulties using standard car ramps with a 407. The lead edge of the bumper catches on the ramp well before the tyre reaches anywhere near the ramps themselves. Standard ramps from the likes of Halfords or DIY car shop will not work. I looked at this last week and took some measurements.
Tyre to leading edge of the bumper is 900mm in length at a height from floor of 180mm.
Most car ramps are only just over 1 meter in length. In a nutshell the bumper hits the ramp and can cause damage to the bumper.
Knowing this I contacted an Engineering firm I use at work. I made a drawing and asked could they put it together. This weekend I have on my drive a new manufactured set of ramps that will actually work with a 407 without catching the bumper. Having looked at angles and dimensions the ramps were constructed and I tested them and they work great. The only draw back is this the Ramps now measure just over 2 meters in length.
Monster ramps indeed but they work and Ive made them to raise over 300mm in height. That means I can get all the way under to the middle exhaust box.
A success but where do I store them? Ive put them in my garage and they touch from the floor to garage roof. If I knew how to add photos to my thread I would picture them and show them to you.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Newspaperman said:
Any knowing DIYer who works on his or her 407 will know of the difficulties using standard car ramps with a 407. The lead edge of the bumper catches on the ramp well before the tyre reaches anywhere near the ramps themselves. Standard ramps from the likes of Halfords or DIY car shop will not work. I looked at this last week and took some measurements.
Tyre to leading edge of the bumper is 900mm in length at a height from floor of 180mm.
Most car ramps are only just over 1 meter in length. In a nutshell the bumper hits the ramp and can cause damage to the bumper.
Knowing this I contacted an Engineering firm I use at work. I made a drawing and asked could they put it together. This weekend I have on my drive a new manufactured set of ramps that will actually work with a 407 without catching the bumper. Having looked at angles and dimensions the ramps were constructed and I tested them and they work great. The only draw back is this the Ramps now measure just over 2 meters in length.
Monster ramps indeed but they work and Ive made them to raise over 300mm in height. That means I can get all the way under to the middle exhaust box.
A success but where do I store them? Ive put them in my garage and they touch from the floor to garage roof. If I knew how to add photos to my thread I would picture them and show them to you.
you need the extentions available on flebay for low entry clearance, my mate bought it and its great.. its like an extension bit that fits in front of the existing ramps..

·
5,087 Posts
Scotcruz said:
you need the extentions available on flebay for low entry clearance, my mate bought it and its great.. its like an extension bit that fits in front of the existing ramps..
or use a length of scaffolding plank to ride up on before the ramp:thumb:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can you get some pics up coz Im a welder and would love to make up a set for my 407 but shelved the idea coz I'm too busy at the min.
What material did they use? I was thinking of 11/2" angle for the long lengths and 1" flat for the bed the wheel sits on.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
When I figure out how to add photos I will post some.
The Ramps were made from 3mm 30mm x 30mm Angle for everything anything heavier and they will be too heavy to lift / move. My Ramps are now 2090mm in length and just stand upright in my garage. If you PM me your email I will forward to you the pictures and details I have.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I've seen an inverted giant ramp, you drive on, then where you are on the balance it tips on to the level. Two extensions swing down and secure it. Your then able to work underneath. Just need storage for them. These are actually on the market and nothing to do with alcohol consumption.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dear Santa

Please can i have a set of those big ramps to get the front of my coupe in the air!!!

They are brilliant! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Or you can just drive onto some wood blocks to get the car a bit higher, then put a jack under the subframe and jack the car up, then put the ramps under the wheels and lower it down :)

The worst part of getting the bumper off is the inner plastic arches which I find annoying to do time after time....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts