Peugeot Forums banner

radio volume probs

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  storeman 
#1 ·
Hi all
I've got a 406 estate and the radio volume was going up and down and i cant get it above a whisper now, i can only hear it on full volume, i've had it out and apart but can see any circuitry burning out so i assume its the amp, but where is it? i thought it was the unit above but i'm not sure after looking at it
Anyone got any ideas what to do as i want to keep the dash looking original and dont really want to buy a different radio

#3 ·
The amp will probably be a single integrated circuit (chip) in the head unit. I doubt that this will be the problem as when the power amp chips fail there tends to be no sound whatsoever plus they also have a habit of blowing a little piece out and smell bloody awful.

#4 ·
thanks

thanks guys i'll have a look at those ideas in a bit, i forgot to mention that i cant get FM anymore its intermitant so i have to use AM frequency which is now full volume for a whisper and i get a lot of static on both AM and FM, i've checked the aerial connections both ends, seems fine.
hope this gives you more idea about the problem and helps you to help me lol
Thanks for the input

#6 ·
It is a common problem on the Clarion head units for it to get harder and harder to tune to FM stations until eventually none can be found at all.

The solution is a new head unit, and it will need to be coded to your car using PP2k.

Plenty of scrap about, so it's an easy fix.

#7 ·
i've just had the Aerial off and checked the amp inside looks fine gave the aerial connection a clean and the base i can now get AM nice and clear on a low volume, FM still none existant though, CD works fine, so looks like a new head unit!! ...gonna be trying a different unit the weekend just to make sure 1st though with my mate who's a mechanic
Many thanks guys

G
#11 ·
Just for the record ( see what I did there.. ) the standard radio, either cassette or CD has a built in amp - but the executives had a radio with no built in amp and a separate JBL amp in the boot...

Check the Planet map, or click on RWBs signature to find a Planet user near you..:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.