Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening,
I am looking for a replacement for 307 as I want to install reversing camera therefor looking at media centre for camera, GPS, DVD etc
Can anyone list that works with trip computer (for settings etc) and steering controls.
Thank you
Cheers
AP

·
Registered
687 Posts
Good Evening,
I am looking for a replacement for 307 as I want to install reversing camera therefor looking at media centre for camera, GPS, DVD etc
Can anyone list that works with trip computer (for settings etc) and steering controls.
Thank you
Cheers
AP
Take your choice of any of the brands.
So long as you re replacing an RD3 unit and have an appropriate stalk adaptor and patch lead, the installation should be fairly simple. If you have an RT3 unit, you will need to replace the fascia loom and central dash display (keep the first aid kit handy if you choose not to remove the dash :lol:). You'll need somewhere to mount the GPS antenna as well as the original glass blocks out the signals. The button on the RH stalk should still work the trip computer

You will need to find a suitable hook-up for the reversing pulse to activate the rear display for the camera, and if you want improved accuracy, for the speed pulse. You could use something like a CANM8-NAVI canbus reader for these feeds or feed back from the reversing light and take from the speed pulse off the ABS unit

BTW, I assume you have a pre-facelift 2005 CAN-VAN system on the car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take your choice of any of the brands.
So long as you re replacing an RD3 unit and have an appropriate stalk adaptor and patch lead, the installation should be fairly simple. If you have an RT3 unit, you will need to replace the fascia loom and central dash display (keep the first aid kit handy if you choose not to remove the dash :lol:). You'll need somewhere to mount the GPS antenna as well as the original glass blocks out the signals. The button on the RH stalk should still work the trip computer

You will need to find a suitable hook-up for the reversing pulse to activate the rear display for the camera, and if you want improved accuracy, for the speed pulse. You could use something like a CANM8-NAVI canbus reader for these feeds or feed back from the reversing light and take from the speed pulse off the ABS unit

BTW, I assume you have a pre-facelift 2005 CAN-VAN system on the car
Thank you, Sorry to be my ignorance - what is RD3 unit and RT3? can you tell me more please.
Cheers
AP

·
Registered
160 Posts
On mine the radio type was printed on a white sticker on top of the radio. Pull it out a little and it should be visible.

Does look like an rd4.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
As ohabu says - it's an RD4 unit so guessing your car is the facelift model i.e. 55 plate or later.

You'll need a head unit that support remote controls and a suitable loom adapter to connect to the fakra connector in the car. You'll also need the correct adapter to get the remote stalk working. The centre display settings are adjusted using the buttons on the RD4 unit but I believe that you can use the remote stalk when this has been removed or swapped out.

If you don't want a major rework of the original car wiring loom than you would need to get a unit with it's own display. As far as the windscreen blocking GPS signals, I haven't had any issues with a TomTom receiving GPS data in either the original or facelift models. An externally mounted antenna will always have better reception than an internal one though.

I would like the onboard satnav but decided against the massive expense in favour of a usb/sd card adapter with bluetooth. I use TomTom on my phone for satnav and audio streaming via bluetooth plus I have the added advantage of not having it all on display when leaving the car and more importantly - I still have satnav if the car is off the road.

Agreed I don't have reversing camera or DVD functionality but then again I can't watch a DVD when driving and I have reversing sensors fitted which work quite well. I don't have passengers that would benefit from watching a DVD on a journey but if I did there are many portable dvd players for less than £50 that would resolve that issue.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If it is on a full CAN system, it will be easy to do, the stalk adaptor should have all the stuff to interface with the head unit controls and provide the speed and reversing pulses for the headunit.

i like the big display that the double DIN unit gives, but for use, the unit sits too low in the dash in that it takes more than just a glance away from the road to look at it, but I do like the look of it in the car. As Storeman says, there are other cheaper options, but I've had a lot of fun messing and learning about the car:lol: I am thinking of a reversing camera as part of the on-going project:thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys.. It is facelift model - 2007 year. I'm just getting DVD player for my daughter for long trips hence which is why I want get it and might as well if it comes with DVD/GPS/Reversing camera etc. I cannot hear the reversing beep at all (hearing impaired hence which is why I want reversing camera)
Cheers
AP

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Just my opinion but getting the all singing and dancing head unit isn't the way to go.

I bought portable dvd players for my kids when they were younger, they could use them either on head rest mounts when in the back of the car or use them on their laps. They could also use them in their bedrooms. There are also plenty of reasonably priced after market reversing cameras available which would suit your requirements which allow positioning of the screen in a better viewing position than you would get in the centre of the console.

As far as I'm aware, the all singing units do not display DVD movies when the car is moving for safety reasons. I watched a TV program where a trucker was pulled over and given an on the spot fine because the passenger had a laptop playing a movie in view of the driver. So I guess having a movie playing in a car where the driver can 'watch' it could also incur the same.

These units would be ideal in a motorhome for entertainment when parked up but in a car - it's not very often that you would be spending enough time to watch a movie in a stationary car.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thanks guys.. It is facelift model - 2007 year. I'm just getting DVD player for my daughter for long trips hence which is why I want get it and might as well if it comes with DVD/GPS/Reversing camera etc. I cannot hear the reversing beep at all (hearing impaired hence which is why I want reversing camera)
Cheers
AP
Mine will only work as a DVD if I am stationary with the handbrake on, I had to make the connection to the handbrake to even get it to play. I could in theory hook up other screens for the back of the car and play a film from the front whilst allowing me to still listen to music or the radio, but the car use doesn't warrant it. I use it to watch films whilst waiting for the kids as I ferry them around between their different social occasions :rolleyes: or when stuck in traffic on the Brussels ring.

They do look good and I love it, but they are expensive. I made the choice to go this way to bring the car to a more modern standard given the old navi unit had packed up and as a bit of a project/learning experience....which it certainly turned out to be:lol::nod:

On the car we use for longer journeys, the kids use a portable DVD player even though there is a factory fitted system, but again, it won't play if the car is moving

1 - 10 of 10 Posts