Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys need a little advice,
Just got a 106 zest 1.1 phase 2 (2000 model), drove it 80 miles home from the seller and it was fine no issues, but this was along the motorway and A roads with no traffic.

I was a little worried that as it has no temperature gauge on the dash just a warning light for over heating that it should come on and light up with the other lights before starting, to show it actually works. Its doesn't illuminate but from reading on the net it seems to be normal.

So I left the car on the drive and let it idle for 45 minutes, in this time the fan never came on which i would have expected it to have come on. The coolant reservoir was really hot and the hoses I felt all seemed to be pretty hot too but still no fan. The only thing that seemed to happen was coolant seeped out of the reservoir. I am not sure if there is a bleed valve on the reservoir or not so can't confirm where it came from but you can see it in the pic below.

The overheat temp light never come on but I turned the engine off once i saw the coolant leaking and thought I would come on here to see if anyone could offer up some advice on what to do next??

Any help much appreciated

p.s read a little bit and some claim it could be head gasket failure........:confused: There is no sludge under the oil cap, and it doesn't appear to have lost any coolant on the 80 odd mile drive??

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
does it over flow out the cap?

do all hoses get hot. is the radiator hot?

my grandads car a 106 seems to have a thermostat that likes staying open

i have never managed to get my fan to come on in this weather before

·
Registered
909 Posts
My 106 never had the fan come on. Chances are the coolant was filled to the top and as you have let the car idle for such a long time the coolant has expanded, its normal. Run the car as you would normally and keep an eye on coolant level.
Least its got antifreeze in it and not just water :)

sent from my non apple product usin free autoguide.com

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so this morning I have ran the car for 10 mins idling on drive again. Top right hose heats up pretty quick within 5 minutes. Bottom left hose stayed cool but started to warm after around 10 mins.
I unplugged the blue sensor from the radiator the only electrical connection on the radiator that I can see but the fan still never kicked not did the coolant warning light on the dash which I thought it would.

After 10 mins I took the rad cap off there was no massive pressure build up but you could see the coolant had risen which I expected. The coolant was bubbling or anything like that.

As I have unplugged the coolant sensor surely fan should have come on as a precaution if it was working of at the very least the coolant warning light on dash?

I don't think it's head gasket doesn't appear to be any water in oil or cover versa and no coolant loss

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update I bypassed the sensor by sticking a paperclip in it and the fan kicked in straightaway. However the warning light never came on the dash?
I'm guessing it needs a new sensor the one that actually screws into the rad?

·
5,034 Posts
Are you maybe trying to fix something that isnt broke:rolleyes:
Apart from it throwing out a small amount of coolant once whilst ticking over it hasnt done it again ???
Its usual for the top hose to get hot quicker than the bottom because of the thermostat.
On our 106 (407xjr had it last and killed it:nod:The fan didnt cut in on that neither and it was really hot :lol:) when the head gasket went it spewed all the coolant out within 10 minutes of starting, massive pressure,increasing when revving the engine, but no milkiness of the oil.
I would put a 5 litre canister full of water in the boot and run it around for a week checking the coolant after every journey(if its a long journey stop halfway) to give you an idea if its using any or not, then go from there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a 407 and had a failed fan, and did not notice it for months (just felt the air con was not working well when stood still). Only overheated on a very hot day when stuck in traffic.

These systems seem very over capacity and seem to cool effectively by convention, would not be surprised if yours is the same.

Odd that Peugeot don't follow the Japanese logic of making the fan switch open to run (very useful if the switch fails on holiday, just unplug to get it to run) but at least your fan works. The fan and warning are on two different detectors ? So if the fan does work, and the light is not coming on, then I imagine all is fine, just keep an eye on it when the weather gets warmer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it probably is just the sensor in the rad knackered. We've only just got the car so don't really know if it's a major issue and as my misses is a new driver she wouldn't have a clue it was overheating till it exploded lol.

Is the temp warning light from another sensor not the one in the rad?

·
Registered
909 Posts
the over temp sensor is mounted near the thermostat if i remember correctly.
Best thing i can tell you to do is to leave it alone and stop worrying about it. You had the car running for 45mins and it didn't over heat. Your not going to be sat in a traffic jam that long with the engine running.
Dont remove the sensor in the radiator, your just asking to cause leaks.
If you want to help your car give it a service including the correct mix of coolant/water and it will be fine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the over temp sensor is mounted near the thermostat if i remember correctly.
Best thing i can tell you to do is to leave it alone and stop worrying about it. You had the car running for 45mins and it didn't over heat. Your not going to be sat in a traffic jam that long with the engine running.
Dont remove the sensor in the radiator, your just asking to cause leaks.
If you want to help your car give it a service including the correct mix of coolant/water and it will be fine.
lol you wont be sitting in traffic for 45 minutes, I wish. An hour this morning it took me to 5 miles.

I plan to give it a service now as i don't know when it was done so fresh plugs, filters and oil. If i'm going to do the coolant I may aswell swap that sensor out as the system needs draining anyway.

Glad to hear the other sensor for the temp light is elsewhere

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
all the parts ordered for a service which as i dont know when it was last serviced will do it the world of good.

Anyway found another thread (might have been on another forum) where they were having similiar cooling fan problems and basically when they unplugged the sensor for thermostat the warning light illuminated and the fan kicked in.

Well i unplugged it and nothing happened, there are two sensors just under the distributor cap a blue one and a green plugged into the right side of the engine. I presumed one is for oil temp/pressure the other coolant temp. Tried both and nothing what so ever happened, no warning lights for oil or coolant and no fan kicked in.

Are they even the right ones lol

·
5,034 Posts
So has it overheated/used any water yet ??

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it hasn't really been used, it did 5 miles yesterday in evening traffic without issue and has done 2 trips of approx 15 miles today. I don't think it has overheated and doesn't appear to have used any coolant.

The issue is IF it is going to overheat due to being in traffic which is going to be very likely soon is the warning going to come on before its totally boiled itself and done some damage.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update, done a few miles in the car now and have replaced the radiator cap which seems to have solved the spewing of coolant. Checked coolant after each drive once its cooled down and coolant level remains the same now.

The fan we actually got working without changing anything just wiggled the wires about a bit and it came on. HOWEVER I can't be 100% sure its kicking in when driving I just have to have faith it is lol.

We got the coolant temp warning light to flicker on when we bridged the sensor and earthed it, mechanic reckons its a bad earth but now need a wiring diagram to try and locate it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts