Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm new to the forum and new to the Peugeot family. I've recently bought a 207 HDi sport 90 and was wondering if anyone on here has used the performance chip from Race Chip. If so what is it like, good points and bad etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi guys I'm new to the forum and new to the Peugeot family. I've recently bought a 207 HDi sport 90 and was wondering if anyone on here has used the performance chip from Race Chip. If so what is it like, good points and bad etc.

Cheers
I asked that question some weeks ago and had no answers, I still haven't jumped yet.... however I have reviewed youtube there are a few videos of people using them.

My hesitations are:
1. Do they work as most only plug into the rail so how can that work (its only cheating the ecu)
2. My car is still under warranty so don't want to remap as the file can be read and trust me when things go wrong that causes a lot of pain
3. And I guess they are so cheap its a real marketing nightmare when you compare chip express or other who are 2 or 3 times the price for maybe 5% extra power....

Let me know if you do get one and good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm interested in this too. The idea of 29hp and 48nm torque increase for less than AU$200 appeals to me, if it works as advertised. My 207 CC is a fun drive but more power would not hurt at all. Anyone?

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I once tried using a cheap plug in tuning box on a 307. My reliable drive that never gave me pronlems went into limp mode in the middle lane on the motorway with the box connected. Managed to get onto the hard shoulder and disconnected it and the car was back to it's reliable self again. Threw the box into the shed and have never seen it since. Won't sell it on as I wouldn't want someone else to have the same happen to them and they not be as lucky as I was to get out of it unscathed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Storeman, but this is not a cheap box (AU$300 for the cheapest one) and they offer a 30 day money back no strings warranty (buyer pays postage). Performance chips – Chip tuning by RaceChip - RaceChip Australia

The money-back thing lowers the cost of entry but it's still wasted time and effort fitting it, testing it, and potentially removing it and sending it back if it's no good, so I thought I'd ask if anyone here has actually tried these specific ones, and if they have any feedback they're willing to share.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I never suggested it was a cheap box merely I tried a cheap box. If it only plugs into the fuel rail pressure sensor then it does nothing more than the cheap boxes and alters the information going back to the ecu. If it plugs into multiple sensors then it alters multiple streams of data going back to the ecu which will make the change from th ecu more accurate. The expensive ones could perform well but they are merely sending false data to the ecu to get the ecu to change different parameters. It would be far better having a map specifically for that one car with the ecu acting on correct information but using modified instuctions to work with.

Any nod chip or non dyno remap will use a compromise or a one size fits all solution which will work better on some cars than others. The beauty of the chip box is it can be removed which could be a godsend if the car is involved in an incident and the insurance hasn't been notified that the performance mod has been fitted. It won't matter if you say it's a fuel economy mod as the insurance will still class it as a performance enhancement. If I was considering spending that kind of money I'd get it done correctly by someone who is monitoring the car whilst on a dyno to make sure nothing is going to go seriously wrong when it's completed. Most dyno remappers will offer a guarantee that the remap won't damage the car and will pay for repair if it did go wrong. Highly unlikely many tuning box manufacturers will give the same guarantee.

After saying that, if I wanted a car with more bhp & torque I would have bought one with it already there from the manufacturer. Just as if I wanted true hifi I would buy something like Babg & olufson rather than a teco value system and try to mod it.

Still - your car & your money and your choice. You read very good reviews for race chip products so unless they are all scam reviews from racechip it should do the job but I personally wouldn't want to risk a tuning box no matter how expensive on my car which is many times more expensive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
After saying that, if I wanted a car with more bhp & torque I would have bought one with it already there from the manufacturer. Just as if I wanted true hifi I would buy something like Babg & olufson rather than a teco value system and try to mod it.
That's a very good point and one I've spent a bit of thought on. I got my car, a used 2010 red 207 CC, because I was in love with the idea of a powered hard-top convertible, and the price was right. By luck it also already had the highest power engine option for the body type. I could have got the 207 GTi but I wanted the drop-top more than power. So short of going up to a 307 or 308, which were out of my price range at the time, this is as good as I can get. But we all want more, right?

Maybe I'll replace the air filter with a kitchen sponge and take a rasp file to the exhaust ports instead :)

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
But we all want more - wrong. I'm more than happy with my 92bhp but I'll grant you that a lot of people want more for one reason or another.

You probably lose a lot of the potential performance due to the added weight of the powered drop top. Same engine in a hardtop would more than likely be a lot different.

Back in the days when driving was real fun there were real opportunities to use a car with a lot of grunt and quick acceleration without a big risk of being pulled over and getting a fine or your licence suspended.

These days with so many speed cameras and patrol cars with onboard video it's a risk at any time to open it up. My 92bhp is more than enough to get a fine although it would take just a few seconds longer than higher powered cars. Also my 92bhp wins many a traffic light grand prix because the driver of the golf gti / audi tt / porche is too busy looking over at my car gloating because they have such a great and fast car. They're too busy to notice the lights turn to green and I have plenty of time to get ahead before they've even realised they cocked it up. Sure they'll pass me at the earliest opportunity but they have to break the speed limit to do it seeing as I'm sitting right on the limit when they do pass.

I'd suspect that most people want more performance simply because it makes them feel good knowing that the car has more power than it came out of the factory with. To be fair, there is no better reason. With a few exceptions, if it makes you feel good then it can't be bad. Like I said - your money, your car and your choice. If it makes you feel good then go for it, It's just not for me. I only got my chip box because it was supposed to improve fuel economy but all it did was put my car into limp mode. I wanted better economy because at the time I was using £60 plus a week just getting to work and back home while getting almost 60mpg with stock setup and it all came out of my pocket. No fuel allowance to help cover the cost.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Boxes and gizmos that just connect into fuel rails and airflow meters etc are as stated only changing parameters the ecu is ALREADY mapped for it wont give you masses more power it is telling the ecu lies to alter when it gets the most fuel etc
I am very much in storemans camp i like power but i just buy a powerful engine to start with !

406 3 litre v6 wonderful engine 200 hp standard no need for more
Same engine is in may espace 200hp in a people carrier is always fun :)

My renault clio DCI is 80 hp and this is more than enough for it have had a clio 172 and although it was fast it was also lethal !! much prefer the diesel car.

Have had tuned subarus in past and always felt underwhelmed by them feeling the standard 1 was just as good tuning just seems to make them want more revs making them less fun to drive.

If you want faster make it lighter this improves speed economy AND handling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Different strokes for different fokls I guess. It's rare that I break the speed limit, but I like getting up to the speed limit as quickly as possible, and that needs MOAR POWAAAA. If I was interested in a dick measuring contest at the traffic lights, I wouldn't be driving a small, cute red convertible. The extra juice is purely for my own entertainment.

I'm grateful for the conversation, but I did ask for anyone with experience of these particular boxes to weigh in, not for a debate on whether I should have one or not. Thanks guys, I'll ask elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
capt kremmen - Maybe the concept could be difficult to comprehend but the reason why nobody has commented on their experience with that particular box could be as simple as no-one has actually got any experience with that particular box. Oh and BTW, you did hijack somebody elses thread. And as for you comment about a dick measuring contest at traffic lights - would you care to embellish on tour actual meaning?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts