Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Genuine question here, I read about how common a faulty/failed rear axle is on the 206, I seem to read more about purchasing a re-conditioned axle rather than replacing the bearings, why is this ?

I bought my 206 sw from a mechanic who told me the rear axle is perfect on my car and what he does whenever he gets a 206 is burns 2 holes in the axle at either side, pours around a litre of used engine oil in each side and then re-seals holes so the internals are under constant lubrication.

Just curious

·
Registered
442 Posts
Genuine question here, I read about how common a faulty/failed rear axle is on the 206, I seem to read more about purchasing a re-conditioned axle rather than replacing the bearings, why is this ?

Just curious

From my reads on the issue, by the time wear is noticed (typically the wheels leaning) the stub axles are usually so worn that they will chew up a replacement bearing shortly.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
As above its not worth trying to do it yourself my son tried and failed and after 2 attempts bought a recon one was fine for 2 years till he sold it.

You can buy the bearings and the actual stub axles but by the time you price all the parts up your at least half way to a recon anyway

1 - 4 of 4 Posts