Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed if using a better quality diesel has helped the engine(2.0 ltr hdi 136) stay cleaner.
Have been using supermarket cheapo stuff up to now and decided to try some shell v power. Can't say the car behaves any different on it but its early days yet.

Hoping to check on pp2000 over a period of time to see how the dpf filter and regen process are any different.

Any thoughts anyone.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I'm not sure on less per tank, but Sainsbury's diesel made my 407 x-line clatter more than other diesels.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

·
2,968 Posts
yep...as above...my 1.4 307/2.0 tdi audi rattled like mad on tesco fuel...perhaps its changed now...as shell fuel where I live is only 1p difference...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

Jumping from 113/ltr (sainsbury) to 127/ltr (shell v) only really means about £10 per tank extra but i reckon it must be better for the engine and systems

·
6,247 Posts
Sainsbury city diesel has a high bio content which is why you get lower mpg. Try normal shell and you will get nearly same mpg as v power. I also only use branded fuels and never had fuel system issues old 307 had 287k miles on original pump and injectors

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
A while ago my then boss insisted I use Shell Vmax in the van I was driving. he came up with paperwork after a couple of months to show how the mileage had improved. But I was still just filling up with whichever supermarket was selling the cheapest diesel.
My wife's 307 has getting on for a 1/4 million miles behind it still running like new on a diet of Tesco's regular diesel.
Really it would need a long (and expensive) blind controlled conditions test to make any kind of informed conclusion.

Roger.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It's all the same stuff - it comes out the same local refinery - the tanker driver squirts in a different additive package according to the 'brand'.

If you want shell v power - fill up with normal diesel and throw some of you're own bottled additive in.

There's no more power or greater mpg - the additives are simply cleaning out your engine - and restoring 'normal' performance - once you have normal performance go back to supermarket fuel until you need to put in more additive.

Throw into the mix that engines are designed to work on a certain grade of fuel - so putting in wizbang extra pro fuel may be a waste of cash - as the engine cannot take advantage of the extra wizbang properties

I've been using Morrison's own for years.

It's the same with engine oils - there are only so many refineries - as long as it meets spec - use it - don't be suckered into the 'label' game.:thumb:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for all the responses.
I will say it feels more responsive on the better quality fuel compared to my normal cheapo stuff. Time will i suppose if its just the car behaving as it should on branded fuel and the cheaper stuff makes it sluggish which is livable.

Either way a tank every few fill ups of the good stuff can't do no harm and if it cleans the internals up a bit then i'm ok with that

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Been discussed many, many times and different people get different results / opinions.

In a real world test using a spreadsheet to collate the data I found that Tesco diesel was returning the same MPG as BP & Shell standard diesel with the Shell nitro giving about 2mpg more but considering the huge extra cost per litre made it the 2nd most expensive per mile. The worst was Sainbury which while being the cheapest pump price at the time was the most expensive to use as the very poor mpg made it the most expensive per mile. Morrisons came in as the 3rd most expensive, just slighly cheaper than Shell nitro.

Not only was Sainsbury's the most expensive, it also made the car run poorly with less pulling power and a slower response. Morrisons diesels AFAIK all contain a certain amount of Bio Diesel which is reported to have a detrimental effect on fuel filters and injectors.

Just remember the cheapest at the pump doesn't mean it's the most economical fuel to use but the dearest at the pump isn't in my experience any better than the mid range fuels available but is certainly more expensive for little or no benefit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts