Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have an HDI 90 estate and I think the top speeds about 115 though I doubt I could get much near 110 not that I would but the guides all say I should fit and H but I would have thought T rated tyres would be best suited anyone know what the legality of it is.

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
People will tell you your insurance will be void blah blah blah but as far as I can see only vans and the like have rules regarding tyre fitment

Cars have RECOMENDATIONS only.

Just like caravan towing the weight limits posted everywhere are only recommendations and it is NOT illegal to tow something heavier than your tow vehicle as long as your train weight is below the limit

·
Registered
107 Posts
its not as clear cut as that though, whilst its not illegal it could be classed as dangerous. If an accident occurred whilst you were towing something above your recommended towing weight you could be charged with dangerous driving and I suspect tyres would fall into the same category.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hi I have an HDI 90 estate and I think the top speeds about 115 though I doubt I could get much near 110 not that I would but the guides all say I should fit and H but I would have thought T rated tyres would be best suited anyone know what the legality of it is.
Estate ? Maybe a seven seater It can carry heavy weight the rated tyres are the Ones I would fit Not much difference in cost ££

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
its not as clear cut as that though, whilst its not illegal it could be classed as dangerous. If an accident occurred whilst you were towing something above your recommended towing weight you could be charged with dangerous driving and I suspect tyres would fall into the same category.
Yes you are correct but I have seen plenty of LEGAL setups that I would call dangerous weaving down the roads of our country :)

As has been said there is not a great deal of difference between different classes of tyre price wise.

I suspect the OP is looking at it from the viewpoint I rarely go fast so why buy go fast tyres and there is nothing wrong in thinking that way given that Peugeot specified a rating they recon that is what it SHOULD have not necessarily what it NEEDS to have.

At the end of the day it is 1 of the many things that could be argued forever without a proper conclusion as there are just too many variables.

P

·
0 Posts
I'm curious what the recommended tyres would be for the estate and SW since only the SW is capable of 7 seats.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there any reason why a T rated tyre would not be suitable despite the speed rating being higher than the max speed of the car, i would assume they are tested to a higher speed than listed

·
Registered
160 Posts
Higher speed rating = less comfortable tires.
Lower speed rating = Softer. That be said, generally anything above Q is pretty much fine for normal driving, as long as you don't mind the car being a bit soft.

Here in Norway we have a required minimum speed rating, I don't remember what mine has but I would guess H. Lower rating is a MOT fail. I'll go up next summer as I feel the car is a bit heavy for the current tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts