Peugeot Forums banner

Putting front fog lights in a peugeot expert 52 reg

10K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  storeman 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever put front fog lights in their front bumper on a expert. I've took my front bumper off and the fog light loom appears to be there. Does anyone know what I have to do to get them working besides changing the headlight/indicator stalk. Thanks.

#5 ·
reliable is one of the most knowledgeable & respected members on this site and you've probably just lost a valuable mine of information for future times when you have a serious problem. You could also use some lessons in politeness. You could have made your point of view clear politely without resorting to foul language.

Just because you put a newer front bumper on the vehicle did not require you to also put on front fog lights. There was no legal or other requirement other than you wanted them.

#6 ·
Its fine storeman everyone knows i hate foglights and have the sore eyes to prove it i want my eyes to last the rest of my life but the sheer amount of people using foglights as dick extensions just pisses me off big time so much so i do not even sell them off cars i break !

For 350 days of the year front foglights are totally unnecessary i can count on 1 hand the amount of times i have driven in fog so bad they MAY have helped but in those cases they only help a little anyway most sensible drivers would just not drive in it !

I wish people would realise that all they do is blind all the other drivers on the road and the police would start enforcing traffic laws properly and fine all the abusers.

The worst eejits are the ones using them in the rain this simply makes it even harder to see properly!

#9 ·
where i live and work at this time of year fog is bad and the other day i set off home from work it was a bit foggy so no fogs on at all then it got worse so i put rear on then even worse so i put front on they did help a bit but not much, i had to do 15mph it was that bad.

they also help on dark country roads at night to help see big puddles to slow down before but if i see another car coming i turn them off

#7 · (Edited)
Storeman, you are quite correct there is no legal or other requirement to fit front fog lights, it's MY own personal choice to put fog lights into MY front bumper on MY van.
I asked a question, I was looking for constructive, informative information that was all. Not expecting to be called an eejit.
I don't doubt reliables knowledge but for a senior member who is in YOUR words respected I would have not expected that kind of comment.
If you have nothing constructive to say in relation to the original post then simply don't say anything at all. Then we won't have to have this discussion.

#8 ·
Yes, it was MY words that reliable is respected and I stand by that statement. reliable has helped countless members solve problems with their vehicles. YOUR original explanation for fitting the fog lights kind of differs from the one quoted in this response. In YOUR words..... 'The reason I've put front fogs in my bumper is I've updated my 52 reg and put a mk2 06 reg style front end on after an accident'

Without knowing every last detail of the van in question it is not ideal for getting information but various different combinations of Expert vans all seem to return the same result. The lighting switch is different for front fogs and once fitted the front fogs will more than likely require activating with planet.

The image below shows the lighting switch needed

#10 ·
I have no problem with the drivers who use them in the dark to see puddles etc as long as they turn them off when others approach but sadly most dont once they are on they are on for good.

In the town with street lights and rain they are totally unnecessary these people have them on because they think they look cool or it makes them feel big i hope they are all blind in 20 years time and realise what they have done to themselves.

#11 · (Edited)
Storeman. I tried to make the question as simple as possible without going into unnecessary detail not realising my every word was going to be scrutinised.
I have a 52 reg expert, I had a front end crash, I decided to put the updated front on it, when the brand new bumper came it had holes where the spot lights go but no blanking covers. Spot lights were only £10.50 each brand new on ebay so I bought 2. Fitted them into the front bumper with no intention of wiring them up but I then noticed when fitting it that the loom was already there I just had to change the plugs and put the updated ones on. So I though I would ask the original question, has anyone ever fitted front fog lights to an expert? and as it is looking from the responses so far nobody has.
I didn't expert the tread to get sidetracked into a debate about when or where you should or shouldn't use fog lights and the legality of them.
Although it has become some what amusing.

G
#12 ·
Whilst I have been kicking back, putting my feet up and enjoying the conversation - I thought I better mention that if you fit the front fogs but don't wire them in then this will be an MOT failure..... :eek:

There is no harm in plugging them in, then getting a stalk with a front fogs switch on it ( if your stalk won't work, but 'Trustme' knows his stuff too.. ) and seeing what happens... worst case will be finding a user here with Planet to activate them, but if they still won't work then remove them and stick them back on eBay.:thumb:

P.s. I only use my front fogs a week before the MOT to check the bulbs..:cool:

Out of curiosity, was the front end a straight swap?

#14 ·
No not really but it's not to difficult either. You have to use the later wings as these are made to accommodate the plastic guide that the bumper slots into but the wings come with the moulding holes so they need to be welded up before painting. You also have to drill off the old brackets and replace them with the later ones as well otherwise the plastic guides won't fit either. You also have to extend the indicator loom and use the later plug also on the headlights. Later bonnet, grill and surround and that's about it.

#15 ·
May I belatedly join in as I have just seen this thread.

I am glad that Mattyg found his answer here and expect he will use his fog lights responsibly.

I too find fog lights a hazard, particularly when used in twilight or when it is raining or the roads are damp, they make it difficult to see beyond the oncoming vehicle.

Don’t know whether these people use their fog lights in inappropriate circumstances or times because they are short in the trouser department but they certainly are unobservant and inconsiderate, maybe they are not as bright as their lights.

#20 ·
Yes the legal requirement is that they must work but front fog lamps weren't part of the MOT test the last time I had one carried out - I specifically asked the question when booking the car in because mine weren't working.

And if they aren't tested then they can't fail.

#21 ·
There is no legal requirement for a car to be fitted with front fog lamps and cannot be checked on the MOT if they are not there however, the law stated that all external lights MUST be working at all times so if they are fitted they form part of the test.

And if they aren't tested then they can't fail.
That's like saying if the seat belts, tyres, brakes or suspension aren't checked thay cannot fail. This is true but no reputable MOT tester is going to risk his reputation and certification not checking an item that should be checked. Yes I know that some mention on the MOT paper they couldn't check the engine compartment due to covers obstructing their view but that doesn't apply to fog lamps.

#22 ·
The reason I came across this thread was the MOT was due and I wanted to replace one of the front fog lamps, as the glass had smashed.

All done and it passed this morning with no advisories - always good to get a clean sheet.

Whilst there I asked whether front fog lamps not working would be a failure and the garage owner said no it wouldn't because they are not part of the MOT test for lighting so his testers would have no reason to turn them on.

#23 ·
Mot rules are open to different interpretations and some testers will ignore some of the more rediculous requirements but the list for lighting states that ALL lights fitted must work so this would include foglights and any extra spotlights etc.

If the police stopped you and went through your lights and you had a defective foglight it IS an offence it would need to be a total asshole to do you for it but they could.

Its all in the interpretation.

#24 ·
Just done a quick search and it seems that front fog lights are not tested these days. It used to be a simple rule that all external lights had to work, seems that that rule has been relaxed. Nothing to do with fog lights but on my way to work at 5 am the other day I met three cars coming the other way at various points on my journey, all with the offside headlamp out. I thought they were motor cycles until they got real close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.