Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to share some interesting information I've just discovered about having a tyre suffer a puncture near the sidewall. My 207 Sportium suffered a puncture early last week on a Michelin tyre which was almost brand new and had cost me £98 as it's on 16 inch alloys.

I took the punctured tyre and wheel still with the large wood screw in place into two well known national tyre centres who will remain nameless. The both used a plastic measuring gauge to show me the puncture was outside the "repairable area" of the tyre. I was then given the price for fitting a new tyre. Due to the cost I decided to get one more opinion and took the wheel into a company called Buyrite Tyres in Newton Abbot who I've visited before. It's a small local company who have been here for at least twenty five years that I know of. Once again the plastic measuring gauge appeared from behind the counter but this time the advice I was given was rather different.

I was told the damage is outside the area for a "minor" puncture repair but the tyre could be sent away which they would arrange (I don't know where) for a "major" repair at a cost of £38 (including refitting, new valve, balancing etc) which is much cheaper than a new Michelin for my car. It's all done and the repaired tyre is back on my car. It looks like it's been partially remoulded in the area of the puncture and then finished by hand to match up the tread pattern. It's very good and I'm rather pleased.

The moral of this story seems to be that you need to be careful when having a puncture repaired on an expensive tyre as going to the wrong place could cost you more than you need to spend.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sidewall Puncture

I have fitted more tyres than I care to remember, I would never ever attempt a puncture repair to anywhere apart from the actual tread pattern.
Back in the old days it was a case of putting in an inner tube, problem solved but then life was easier in those day's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
I have just had a puncture, actually it looks a lot worse...
i don't have a spare tyre or kit
could i temporarily fit a Clio spare tyre just to bring the car home?
Thank you

·
Registered
164 Posts
Check your invoice for the tyre from where you bought it. I bought tyres recently from Budget and they came with an accidental damage warranty. Obviously too late for you now but its always worth looking because they never told me this. I only found out as I read the bumpf when putting it away with the service manual etc. (I always save bills....it looks good when you sell the car!)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't have accidental damage insurance unfortunately. The repaired tyre now has a logo on the side which says it's been repaired by an approved tyre repairer to BS AU 159. The tyre centre who arranged it said the tyre has been "vulcanised" rather than having a standard "minor" puncture repair. The repair is not actually to the side wall. It's in the tread just outside the central 70% minor repair zone by about 5mm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts