Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 406 hdi and one of the pulleys has started making a grinding noise and there are small meatl shards comeing from it. Does anyone know how much this is to get fixed, only got car a couple of days ago!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently changed one on my 307 as it collapsed after grinding for about 5mins. It happened last weekend.

It cost me £23 direct from Pug and also purchased a new belt too so all in it was £48.

G

·
There are 3 types, about £40 to £100 for genuine, depending on which one your car has. You'll get pattern ones cheaper.

Pug recommend uit be replaced with the cambelt, but many folk don't either cos of the expense, or cos they use back street spanner monkeys who don't know that. Either way, it's a potential sign of a badly maintained or neglected car.

Do not so much as start it till its fixed. If it fails totally that can cause you to break down at best, and smash up much of the engine bay at worst.

·
Registered
87 Posts
chopper1192 said:
There are 3 types, about £40 to £100 for genuine, depending on which one your car has. You'll get pattern ones cheaper.

Pug recommend uit be replaced with the cambelt, but many folk don't either cos of the expense, or cos they use back street spanner monkeys who don't know that. Either way, it's a potential sign of a badly maintained or neglected car.

Do not so much as start it till its fixed. If it fails totally that can cause you to break down at best, and smash up much of the engine bay at worst.
He needs to let us know which pulley has gone, if its the timing belt then you're right and it's potentially a major issue if it goes.

As in my case, it was the aux belt so at worst you'll lose power steering, AC, battery charge etc if it falls. This is a simple diy job provided you have the tools etc Mine was the idler pulley that failed, I purchased genuine item & belt from Pug. Waited a couple of days for the order to arrive and it was sorted.

G

·
I think he means the bottom pulley, ie, harmonic balancer.

I've seen one that failed and the outer ring came adrift instead of locking onto the inner, and it flymo'd forward and the inertia put it through the radiator like a Dremmel through plasticine. Why risk the damage?

·
Registered
87 Posts
chopper1192 said:
I think he means the bottom pulley, ie, harmonic balancer.

I've seen one that failed and the outer ring came adrift instead of locking onto the inner, and it flymo'd forward and the inertia put it through the radiator like a Dremmel through plasticine. Why risk the damage?
ouch!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been told that it is the crankshaft pulley. The power steering has went heavy and the battery light comes on now and again. I have only driven it round my car park to see what happens. There is a loud rattling noise and there is small metal shards beside the engine.

G

·
Yup, that's the one. A quick waft of the wallet in some parts blokes direction should have it quickly sorted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Crank Pulley

harmonic balancer.....dont think my morris minor has one of those:p .....dam stupid design really don't you think?....so does anyone know about the 'solid' rather than 2 piece ones?........:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.