Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I have a 407 SW 2ltr diesel on a 2009 plate.

The OSR indicator and brake light keep being switched off by the BSI.

I have sent the car to an auto electrician twice. He's so far re earthed the unit and fitted a replacement plug plus tested voltages/resistance etc and has all come in as expected...

From opening the car and starting the engine the indicator will flash quickly once or twice and then the BSI realises the plug/light fitting is good and switches the indicator back on it then all works as it should. The problem seems to be that if, while driving, I brake and indicate at the same time the BSI will freak out and cut power to both circuits meaning I loose brake light and indicator on the OSR. Get to my destination, Switch the car off, wait 10 mins, switch it on again and we're back to the indicator flashes quickly once or twice and the BSI switches them both on again...

Any thoughts or possible causes/solutions? My auto electrician is one I trust and have used for years but from his experience the new earth and or plug usually solves the problem...

Many thanks in advance.

ED at the weekend I'll to try the BSI re boot procedure listed here https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/general-discussion-2/bsi-reprgramming-help-15110/ to see if that makes a difference

·
2,769 Posts
Hi....the only difference I did with mine was to bridge the plug on the earth and brake light feed wires so by passing the plug..I know a new plug seems a good idea but if the fault is in the unit 'prongs' the fault is still there..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi....the only difference I did with mine was to bridge the plug on the earth and brake light feed wires so by passing the plug..I know a new plug seems a good idea but if the fault is in the unit 'prongs' the fault is still there..
He did bridge the Earth, I'll add a photo when i get 5. Maybe do the same to the brake and indicator too??

·
2,769 Posts
Hi...those rear light plugs and sockets cause no end of issues...deff bridge out the indicator and earth..its been documented on here and you tube,,,I ended up doing both sides within a year of each other (57 plate sw)....

ps....hoping its that not a b.s.i.water ingress fault/or wiring

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi...those rear light plugs and sockets cause no end of issues...deff bridge out the indicator and earth..its been documented on here and you tube,,,I ended up doing both sides within a year of each other (57 plate sw)....

ps....hoping its that not a b.s.i.water ingress fault/or wiring
Cheers! Me too!

·
Registered
827 Posts
So far it seems the wiring on the OSR rear is at fault. Take the bulbs out and check for any signs of corrosion etc too.

If the fault does not happen with the hazard lights on and brake pedal pressed, then it's not the wiring but something else?

iirc, there have been 3 updates to the BSI in 407's, seeing as your car is 2009, it's most likely got the latest BSI which are pretty reliable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far it seems the wiring on the OSR rear is at fault. Take the bulbs out and check for any signs of corrosion etc too.

If the fault does not happen with the hazard lights on and brake pedal pressed, then it's not the wiring but something else?

iirc, there have been 3 updates to the BSI in 407's, seeing as your car is 2009, it's most likely got the latest BSI which are pretty reliable.
Not had a chance to check the hazard lights but I have checked, cleaned all the lamps and lamp holders. Doing that got it working, briefly. It's now off and swithing the car off for a while doesn't seem to get it to come back on, like it used to.

I'm doing the BSI system re boot procedure now but have put the battery on charge for a few hours between steps 4 and 5 as my battery seems a little low, (12.5 v) It's a new battery so I'm beginning to wonder if my alternator is a little weak, or I have a power drain somewhere??? I'll test for both once the battery is fully charged...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the OP's case, I am willing to bet it's a break in the wiring somewhere, internally that's not so visible on the outside.
My auto electrician did test the cables for continuity etc but that doesn't rule out a broken wire completely... Maybe the plug on the BSI end is worn or loose too, like the plug on the OSR light was... Or like someone else suggested, Water ingress. I'll check that out too

What else would I be doing on a Bank Holiday weekend??? lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update...

Having trickle charged the battery for 12 hours and completing the BSI reboot sequence thee indicator has come back on! I've loaded as much as I can on it, indicating, braking, lights on and in reverse gear and it keeps indicating....

It goes to the AE tomorrow and I'll do more testing. Maybe the weak battery was enough to make the BSI switch the indicator and brake light off. I'm not convinced if fixed but it has improved....

·
Registered
827 Posts
12.5v on the battery means it is pretty much in A1 condition. No charging was needed.

When the engine is running, the battery isn't needed as the electrics are being run off the alternator solely and exclusively.

Pop a voltmeter over the alternator, it should display a continuous 14.3-14.4v. Anything higher or lower, then it means the alternator is at fault but it's doubtful.

Most likely though, it was a software glitch with the BSI. If it senses a fault, it switches that circuit off. (Had a similar issue with the interior boot light). But it does periodically test that circuit and if it's fine, it brings it back. A glitch could have kept the error floating in long term memory that it forgot to delete so periodically brought it back.

Heck, it could even be something crazy like a high speed particle from outer space that flipped a bit in the computer haha

If it's working, just leave it! :thumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That didn't last long....

It went to the AE Tuesday morning as it was booked in. He found another hot joint so cleaned it and returned it all working.

Went to work This morning, Wednesday, and as I turned right at the end of my road it went out again... Also now when locking/unlocking the car the brake light flashes with the indicator.

It's back now with the AE, He's bridging all cables and running a new earth to the chassis. Fingers crossed this will fix it.

I'll post how it goes......

·
Registered
827 Posts
You can't just check continuity - it only gives you a snapshot. For example a standard automotive wire is a multi-strand copper wire. If half of those strands break, you will still have a fantastic continuity but under load, the resistance will increase drastically.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can't just check continuity - it only gives you a snapshot. For example a standard automotive wire is a multi-strand copper wire. If half of those strands break, you will still have a fantastic continuity but under load, the resistance will increase drastically.
Yup! a good point, But the guy is a dedicated AE so probably knows all that.

I've just collected the car and all the connections are now bridged plus there's a new earth to the chassis. All seems good after a long right hand circuit test drive to the point of dizziness. hopefully that'll be the end of the problem, I'll find out for sure over the next few days....

Wish me luck! lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
****** Fixed ******

Sorry for the delay in writting this but I've been away on holiday for 2 weeks. I've clocked up many miles in it since bridging all the cables and it's still going as It should! Thanks for all the input!

Happy days!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts