Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm a newbie here. Looking at a 55 plate 307 1.6 s HDi diesel and I was wondering if you guys know what I can expect with regards to life expectancy on it? I know the turbos are sometimes prone to issue but it's had regular quality oil changes so I'm interested. It's got 98.5k on the clock.

It's from a family member so the price is good.

Is there anything I should be worried about? Or look for?

Any tips to extend the lifetime of these bad boys? I've got a young son and not a tonne of money to keep buying cars with since my Ford exploded.

All the best
Tokn

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Hello all,

I'm a newbie here. Looking at a 55 plate 307 1.6 s HDi diesel and I was wondering if you guys know what I can expect with regards to life expectancy on it? I know the turbos are sometimes prone to issue but it's had regular quality oil changes so I'm interested. It's got 98.5k on the clock.

It's from a family member so the price is good.

Is there anything I should be worried about? Or look for?

Any tips to extend the lifetime of these bad boys? I've got a young son and not a tonne of money to keep buying cars with since my Ford exploded.

All the best
Tokn
all cars life expectancy's are dependant on how it is driven and serviced as well as the climate and how often its used

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate that. And I get that there's no certain guessing. The best I know it's its been used predominantly around town, never international, one lady driver and were on the south coast of England.

Any help at all is appreciated. Any other members with the same motor how many miles are you at ?

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I appreciate that. And I get that there's no certain guessing. The best I know it's its been used predominantly around town, never international, one lady driver and were on the south coast of England.

Any help at all is appreciated. Any other members with the same motor how many miles are you at ?
if you get it serviced properly you should get many more 1000's of miles

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there many other prevalent issues asides from the turbo with this motor?

I'm planning on an oil and filter change once we get it.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
take the oil feed pipe off the turbo and run the car for a few seconds. put the pipe in a bowl or similar and notice the flow of oil

the manual says should be 300ml in a minute but wouldnt like to run it that long. i only did mine for 3 seconds and noticed a very nice stream of oil

the 1.6hdi needs regular looking after injector bolts tweaked every service. oil and filter every 12000 miles (i do mine at 6)

egrs go abit wonky after a while and the dpf may play up. both easily fixed if you are competent

i love mine my other 307 a 2.0hdi seems a bit rough to this

the 307 itself is pretty solid. parts are cheap to buy not much else to say. you will need to spend money on it but if you manage to do it yourself you will save a packet

good luck

·
Registered
369 Posts
I wouldn't run it with the oil feed off :eek:
Disconnect crank sensor and turn it over if the turbo spins without oil in its game over :thumb:

Look around the injectors/cam cover for carbon deposits.
Look inside oil cap again for deposits or sludge.

Don't go all the way to 12k miles for oil and filter changes.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Great tip for the test. Cheers. How many miles have you got on the clock with yours? Any big concerns otherwise?
mine had 110k now and my mums has 116k

i replaced both cam belts water pumps and aux belts at about 100k

no major issues as yet. the main issue is turbo failure. if the cars in decent condition you can help and prevent this. if its been serviced every 20k its asking for trouble

i do my oil every 6k. genuine filter is 4£ and oils about 15£ forfully synthetic so not bank breaking

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I wouldn't run it with the oil feed off :eek:
Disconnect crank sensor and turn it over if the turbo spins without oil in its game over :thumb:

Look around the injectors/cam cover for carbon deposits.
Look inside oil cap again for deposits or sludge.

Don't go all the way to 12k miles for oil and filter changes.
and how would you test it? you can fill up the hole with new oil if you want.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
The 1.6 hdi 90 that I had was over 120k miles and going strong until a punto parked itself in the side of it. I did an oil and filter change every 6k - 9k miles.

I replaced it with a 2.0 hdi 90 which is supposed to be a bit more bulletproof than the 1.6. That had 105k on the clock when I bought it and is now coming up to 150k. I change the oil & filter at the same 6-9k interval and so far so good. If they are looked after and serviced sooner than the recommended interval there should be no reason why they can't hit 250,00 or more.

P

·
0 Posts
About to hit 205K on my 307. Look after it and it will run forever. Speaking of which, mine prob still has original turbo on, should i be considering replacing or servicing it?

·
5,639 Posts
Take out the turbo feed pipe banjo and check for fine filter, if its there throw the bloody thing away. The filter was deleted on later engines and on the replacement oil feed pipe as it was causing most of the oil starvation problems as it clogged with fine carbon particles, now they believe that the fine carbon particles will not cause major issues to turbo bearings but lack of oil will !.

Also get into habit of getting in car starting it then putting on seat belt etc before pulling away to allow oil pressure to build up in turbo bearings, and let it idle for 15-20 seconds before switching off to allow turbo to spool down.

I have a 2.0 110 and do the above, service at the 12K intervals with Mobile 1 diesel oil and only use branded fuel. It's just done over 218K and it's been remapped for about 160K of those miles and uses no oil between service and is running original turbo, HP pump and injectors and just passed MOT with smoke level of 0.13 (more than 100 times lower than MOT limit even with dpf removed) :D

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have a 2.0 110 and do the above, service at the 12K intervals with Mobile 1 diesel oil and only use branded fuel. It's just done over 218K and it's been remapped for about 160K of those miles and uses no oil between service and is running original turbo, HP pump and injectors and just passed MOT with smoke level of 0.13 (more than 100 times lower than MOT limit even with dpf removed) :D
Wow, 218K miles? Mine has just passed the 99,000km mark....but okay, its a petrol, not a diesel.....but hopefully still a good few more years in it yet!

·
11,722 Posts
The best I know it's its been used predominantly around town, never international, one lady driver and were on the south coast of England.
Not great. Diesels need to spend time on the motorway or dual carriageways. If its the 110 bhp model expect to shell out £600-£800 on a dual mass flywheel clutch and upto £500 sorting the DPF sytem if they've not already been done.

Its only anecdotal, but I never see any big mileage (i.e over 120,000 miles) facelifted 307s, but see plenty of the 2L diesel pre-facelifted ones, including our very own pr1vatepiles, who's is on about 205,000 miles if not more.

If I were to buy a 307 tomorrow I'd focus my sights on a 2005 (pre facelift) 2L 90bhp diesel with service history, preferably an LX, GLX or SE, so you get lots of extras.

P

·
0 Posts
Not great. Diesels need to spend time on the motorway or dual carriageways. If its the 110 bhp model expect to shell out £600-£800 on a dual mass flywheel clutch and upto £500 sorting the DPF sytem if they've not already been done.

Its only anecdotal, but I never see any big mileage (i.e over 120,000 miles) facelifted 307s, but see plenty of the 2L diesel pre-facelifted ones, including our very own pr1vatepiles, who's is on about 205,000 miles if not more.

If I were to buy a 307 tomorrow I'd focus my sights on a 2005 (pre facelift) 2L 90bhp diesel with service history, preferably an LX, GLX or SE, so you get lots of extras.
204506 as off 5 minutes ago. But i have to agree, i'd love to get a facelift model with all toys.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts