Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , new here so please be gentle! .. I have a Pug 106 XND '98 model. Its my baby.. my first car and I love it to bits... but I have a glitch! I bought the car from my cousin and she mentioned that there was a leak through the interior light and needed scilicon in it... I have done this today but the interior light does not work, its gotten a bit rusty where the rain was getting in and I have given it a bit of a clean. We are also going to head down to Halfords in a bit to get a new light.. but how do I get the unit out??

I can get it from the car, but now its hanging by wires! Is there any way I can removed the light fitting to give it a clean?? Ie the bit that moves to change the setting of the light?? I hope you guys get what I mean! I have never owned a car before ( I can't even drive it yet without supervision!!)

·
Registered
862 Posts
fragrocks said:
Hi all , new here so please be gentle! .. I have a Pug 106 XND '98 model. Its my baby.. my first car and I love it to bits... but I have a glitch! I bought the car from my cousin and she mentioned that there was a leak through the interior light and needed scilicon in it... I have done this today but the interior light does not work, its gotten a bit rusty where the rain was getting in and I have given it a bit of a clean. We are also going to head down to Halfords in a bit to get a new light.. but how do I get the unit out??

I can get it from the car, but now its hanging by wires! Is there any way I can removed the light fitting to give it a clean?? Ie the bit that moves to change the setting of the light?? I hope you guys get what I mean! I have never owned a car before ( I can't even drive it yet without supervision!!)

Hi and welcome to the forum :yay2:

The light fitting should just pop out so that you can unclip the wires connected to it. Give the connectors a rub with sandpaper/emery board to clean them up,replace bulb,clip light back into roof lining and thats it.

Would suggest that the water is coming in via the arieal some silicon around the base of that would be a good idea when you have removed the interior light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the moose said:
Hi and welcome to the forum :yay2:

The light fitting should just pop out so that you can unclip the wires connected to it. Give the connectors a rub with sandpaper/emery board to clean them up,replace bulb,clip light back into roof lining and thats it.

Would suggest that the water is coming in via the arieal some silicon around the base of that would be a good idea when you have removed the interior light.
I have the light out but cant disconnect the wires! have given it a rub too!! .. And I have put silicon round the base of the aerial! May get myself a haynes manual! I like tinkering with my car but need to know I am doing it right!!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
fragrocks said:
I have the light out but cant disconnect the wires! have given it a rub too!! .. And I have put silicon round the base of the aerial! May get myself a haynes manual! I like tinkering with my car but need to know I am doing it right!!!

This type of job is ideal for tinkering with as the worse case scenario is that your light wont work. Got to assume the water has corroded the wires into place. Try and find a replacement at a scrappy will cost a few quid lot cheaper than psa.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The corrosion in copper wires over time will spread down the line causing the light become dim, and eventually if they are severly corroded the current will cease to flow.

My solution cut the wires from the left hand side A pillar you will need to remove the trim, and re wire from this point, also it is always best to attach a new loom with a connector to the exisiting system, don't solder it will under intense heat detach..

You can pull the pins out of the existing connector for the light and replace them with small pins from a reputable electronics store, also when dong all this make sure you pull the fuse out to avoid a short before you cut...

I'm the interior light expert, my old car had floor, door, map, roof, rear and door handle lighting...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts