Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seen on the news ticker that the EU will rule on the proposed PSA takeover of Opel / Vauxhall.

Hadn't heard this was on the cards.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
They are buying GMs loss making european operations which means they are efectively buying into renault too and a bit of fiat as renault trafics are vivaros and also fiat talentos

corsas are puntos combos also have fiat parts astras are being sold at a loss its a bit of a minefield to be honest and i cant see the logic in it other than to gobble up the competition then hang them out to dry as BMW did with rover take what they want throw the rest away.

Not sure how renaults going to like sharing things with peugeot again !!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
They are buying GMs loss making european operations which means they are efectively buying into renault too and a bit of fiat as renault trafics are vivaros and also fiat talentos

corsas are puntos combos also have fiat parts astras are being sold at a loss its a bit of a minefield to be honest and i cant see the logic in it other than to gobble up the competition then hang them out to dry as BMW did with rover take what they want throw the rest away.

Not sure how renaults going to like sharing things with peugeot again !!
It would be interresting to know what what exactly is included in the takeover (which is always a secret)... because Opel/Vauxhall are nothing without the GM side, I bet GM owns most of the patent/design rights too...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I suspect PSA want more production line capacity predominantly using their own platforms.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Thats the only logical conclusion kill off the competition build more of your own in their factories :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Oh dear:

The PSA Group, parent company of Peugeot and Citroen, is reportedly seeking a refund from General Motors for half the purchase price of Opel.

PSA Group wants refund from GM for Opel purchase – report

I see that.

I don't fancy the chances of a French company getting any dosh back from those Americans somehow!
They still haven't forgiven the french for steeling their southern states way back when..

Grumpy

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Oh dear:

The PSA Group, parent company of Peugeot and Citroen, is reportedly seeking a refund from General Motors for half the purchase price of Opel.

PSA Group wants refund from GM for Opel purchase – report
I thought their plan was to start using PSA platforms and engines ASAP... like in 3 years time.... In that case why are they worried about the new CO2 norms, I am not sure...

But it is interresting to see that GM has actually quitt on Opel a long time ago, judging by the news they stopped development and investments into new technologies knowing that they will not meet the regulations.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
They want a refund because they were lied to they hoped to continue using opels stuff for longer but will now need to retool everything quicker but in all honesty thats no bad thing

3 years is a LONG time and could have resulted in a lot of sales and allow time to do the changeovers necessary in stages but as the current engines are crap they are not worth continuing with and are certainly not worth investing time and money in improving this is why PSA is unhappy.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I see that.

I don't fancy the chances of a French company getting any dosh back from those Americans somehow!
They still haven't forgiven the french for steeling their southern states way back when..

Grumpy
It belonged to France in the first place. The United States bought them (actually most of the middle of what is now the USA from the gulf coast to the Canadian border) at the bargain price of a bit less than 3 cents per acre. The deal was finalised in December 1803.

Roger.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
France owned SOME of the land a long time ago but then so did england !

The USA today is very different to the country it was then GM is not even solely american having major ties with fiat for example modern companies are rarely all they seem nowadays.

Even the mighty ford is nothing compared to what it was in model T days having ties to mazda peugeot and fiat also.

·
Super Moderator
1,803 Posts
They want a refund because they were lied to they hoped to continue using opels stuff for longer but will now need to retool everything quicker but in all honesty thats no bad thing

3 years is a LONG time and could have resulted in a lot of sales and allow time to do the changeovers necessary in stages but as the current engines are crap they are not worth continuing with and are certainly not worth investing time and money in improving this is why PSA is unhappy.
I'd love to know why you think the current engines are crap. I've had nearly as many Vauxhall as Peugeot and the Vauxhalls have been more reliable, more efficient, more powerful and generally easier to work on.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Peugeot say they are crap due to the fact they are not clean enough my view on them is not relevant i am simply explaining the reason for wanting the refund :)

In all honesty most modern engines are crap in some way due to engineering them for max efficiency and turboing them to death the days of engines lasting the life of the car are long gone :)

·
Super Moderator
1,803 Posts
Fair enough!

Yeah, my toledo is at 260k miles. Not much environmental rubbish on her! Can't see any of the newer engines doing that easily. Like the old 1.9 pug engines. I love them. Looking another 306 dturbo if I can find one. Bombproof!

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Im the same i have old espaces and the engines in them go forever the later DCI is fine when it works but dies eventually.

My clio DCIs are great no stupid tree hugging additions to cause problems.

Everyone around me is buying newer cars im going backwards :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The laws of diminishing returns applies, unfortunately, to the ICE.
There aren’t many manufacturers that aren’t listed companies and I can’t see them poring in more funds unless there is a fundamental design breakthrough which can achieve clean power from mass production.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts