Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've recently brought a 307 1.4 HDI 2004 with 92,000 and have started having problems with it almost straight away. The car drove fine for the first couple of weeks then when I pulled onto the motorway one day had very little power and would not go above 50mph.

Called the AA they said they did not know what the problem was and followed me home as I wasn't far away. No fault codes when they checked the diagnostics.

Car went back to local garage the previous owner had used, No fault codes on there system. They found the EGR valve had got stuck open and a large build up of carbon was preventing correct exhaust pressures. They cleaned it all out and the car ran fine for the next 1500miles.

Over the last few days I had been noticing power decreasing rapidly, took it to another garage, No fault codes, couldn't replicate lack of power, drove it 100 miles the next day and it ran great.

Drove it yesterday no power, couldn't get above 40mph, there is a little power when you change gear but then accelerating makes no difference. Took it to garage today, No fault codes, EGR valve fine.

I've looked at the peugeot planet map but as I am now living in Dublin there is no one listed nearby to help with diagnositics. There are also no fault lights on the dash.

Any help greatly appreciated as I do not want to just swap parts at random.

Many Thanks in advance,

Stu

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Hello,

I've recently brought a 307 1.4 HDI 2004 with 92,000 and have started having problems with it almost straight away. The car drove fine for the first couple of weeks then when I pulled onto the motorway one day had very little power and would not go above 50mph.

Called the AA they said they did not know what the problem was and followed me home as I wasn't far away. No fault codes when they checked the diagnostics.

Car went back to local garage the previous owner had used, No fault codes on there system. They found the EGR valve had got stuck open and a large build up of carbon was preventing correct exhaust pressures. They cleaned it all out and the car ran fine for the next 1500miles.

Over the last few days I had been noticing power decreasing rapidly, took it to another garage, No fault codes, couldn't replicate lack of power, drove it 100 miles the next day and it ran great.

Drove it yesterday no power, couldn't get above 40mph, there is a little power when you change gear but then accelerating makes no difference. Took it to garage today, No fault codes, EGR valve fine.

I've looked at the peugeot planet map but as I am now living in Dublin there is no one listed nearby to help with diagnositics. There are also no fault lights on the dash.

Any help greatly appreciated as I do not want to just swap parts at random.

Many Thanks in advance,

Stu
sounds like cat has collapsed if you remove it and see if it rattles if it does use a long bar to smash all the guts out and then refit, could also be egr but there would be a lot of black smoke from exhaust

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've jut found another thread which suggests this is often the fault if the egr valve is fine. I'll take a look at the cat tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Your symptoms sound the same as what happened to me.

I did the same as the above post to my cat and have never looked back since.

I found the cat has a honeycomb inside which had become detached from the sides. It rattled around the chamber and formed itself into a ball shape, it would then roll around and occasionally form a perfect seal over the exit exhaust pipe with the honeycombs not lined up to the hole. This suffocated the engine and caused the loss of power.

Its quite brittle and easy to break apart with the screwdriver

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Your symptoms sound the same as what happened to me.

I did the same as the above post to my cat and have never looked back since.

I found the cat has a honeycomb inside which had become detached from the sides. It rattled around the chamber and formed itself into a ball shape, it would then roll around and occasionally form a perfect seal over the exit exhaust pipe with the honeycombs not lined up to the hole. This suffocated the engine and caused the loss of power.

Its quite brittle and easy to break apart with the screwdriver
I you save the stuff you knock out and take it to a scrap yard then explain what it is they should send it off to be analysed and give you some money for it (babintons in leeds do anyway)

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I you save the stuff you knock out and take it to a scrap yard then explain what it is they should send it off to be analysed and give you some money for it (babintons in leeds do anyway)
Yeah, I've heard that the metals in cats are very valuable. Once heard on the news of a group of thieves going round stealing cats off cars for the scrap value/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts