Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a problem starting my 406 in the morning. It takes 8-10 turns of the key to start. Once I start it and turn the engine off there's no problem restarting it. Just first thing in the morning. The longer I leave it with the engine off, the harder it is to re-start. If I leave it for 4 hours it takes about 3 turns of the key to start. Overnight 8-10 turns. It's as if the fuel isn't getting into the engine

When I try to start it and I put my foot on the accelerator, this doesn't help either. In fact putting the foot on the accelerator feels as if it extinguishes the starting process.

Also, when I am trying to start it, for a second or 2 after I turn the key the engine chugs for a bit (it doesn't sound healthy) with the rpm way below what it should be.

I hope my explanation helps! Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Before automatic ignition this was a classic ignition timing problem. Shouldn't happen now, but I can think of 1 exception- I had a 406 with slight camshaft damage, with a correctly fitted belt it ran badly, like an engine needing timing adjustment years ago (curiously, it ran OK with a slack belt). If you can't be sure how old your timing belt is, don't take a chance.

Did something change recently, eg, new plugs, belt, anything? Conversely, are you due a service - I am thinking new plugs, air filter.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sonichedgehog said:
Before automatic ignition this was a classic ignition timing problem. Shouldn't happen now, but I can think of 1 exception- I had a 406 with slight camshaft damage, with a correctly fitted belt it ran badly, like an engine needing timing adjustment years ago (curiously, it ran OK with a slack belt). If you can't be sure how old your timing belt is, don't take a chance.

Did something change recently, eg, new plugs, belt, anything? Conversely, are you due a service - I am thinking new plugs, air filter.
I replaced the fuel pump about 8 weeks ago and it seems to have started at around that time and I know the timing belt needs a change

·
Registered
70 Posts
last time I changed a fuel pump it had a glass bowl on top! If there is a leak then fuel will take longer to feed through so check that. Usually petrol leaks are detected because of the smell. If the petrol pump is the most likely problem, timing belt is unconnected but as i said not worth the risk.

I'm not sure what effect the foot on the gas would have in your case. I had an early 406 which was really a 405 engine in a different body, and that was an old linkage type accelerator, the foot on the gas actually controlled a mechanical throttle. pressing the pedal would help if the mixture was too rich & delay starting if too thin for temperature. Modern fly by wire systems control the throttle from the ECU so anyone's guess whether it helps or hinders:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Folks,

My 406 [N reg, 1.9 dt lx, which has done about 195,000 miles] also has problems starting up in the morning. When I turn the ignition, it vibrates and knocks back and forth, but does not start unless I keep the ignition turned with the accelerator pedal kept pressed.

The 'rocking' goes on for about 15-20 seconds before it finally kicks into life and revs up. This process gives off a lot of thick white smoke from the exhaust, and I am also concerned that it disturbs the neighbours.

It starts normally during the daytime thereafter. Then it recurs the next morning. The car was starting up fine up to a week ago or so.

Any ideas/suggestions/solutions?

Many thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts