Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

I have the identical ABS/ESP warning light problem to a chap in a previous thread, cant post the link as I dont have 5 posts lol :p (it was started by Tom_N).

I have taken it to two local garages with code readers and for some reason they dont work, they just tell me they cant connect to the car. can only Peugeot garages read the codes/faults?? I have a 2004 2.0se petrol.

Also, if I manage to find which ABS sensor is damaged and have it replaced, will the fault clear automatically? or will it have to be put back onto a computer to have it cleared?

Cheers,
Andrew

G

·
Most OBDII multi-protocol readers will read the PSA engine trouble codes, but they won't generally read he codes for braking, stability controls, aircon, body electrical systems etc.

You need either Planet, one of the commercially available Planet clones for use with laptops, or one of the uber expensive jobs from the likes of Snap On etc. Some garages may have the kit, but it's gonna be big bucks so the sort of kit you need will be far from universal. you'd be best taking it to a PSA specilist (not necessarily a pug dealer, plenty of decent independants out there) so they can identify the fault and reset the pooter once it's repaired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh thanks for that Chopper, makes a bit more sense to me now.

I will have a flick through the Yellow Pages and see who else I can find locally.

Cheers

G

·
No worries chum :) From experience, it's liable to be an ABS sensor, but naturally you need to know which one. Not an expensive repair if that's the case.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know this thread is a few days old now and you've already took it somewhere no doubt but just to add my two cents. I took mine to Kwik-Fit to get the codes read, cost me £29 and after putting it up on the ramp and some quick inspection they told me that it was the drivers side rear sensor..

I didn't let them do the work ironically as they were charging alot more than I expected it to be! glad I waited and got my local Pug speciallist to do it for a cheaper price :p.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wish I'd seen this post earlier.
The Autel MaxiDiag™ FR704 reads abs codes on my 407. I've just used one I bought 2nd hand off ebay, the full price is probably about £175. It's designed for Renault & Peugeot but I think does some of the Japanese as well (because Renault own half of Nissan? Dunno). The menu gives you a list of models, then moves on to selection of system. Surprisingly, it includes, not only the usual engine & AT, and the ABS I bought it for, but also aircon (which I haven't tried out yet).

Not sure why it's so difficult to get definitive answers in this area. Professional forums seem to think you need to spend £1000's to get this kind of kit. I assume that the technology here is moving on very quickly, you just have to keep googling.

And btw, if its a rear sensor you need, you might have a problem getting one at the moment. Local Pug dealers have them on back order for several weeks. Worth ringing around though. Might also want to to refer to my post about cleaning up these sensors... I had to drill the :censored: out -Phil

G

·
Reading and perhaps resetting the codes on subsytems is one thing - enabling hidden functions (mirror dipping, display configuratioin etc), disabling airbags, activating the ABS pump to bleed the system following a change of fluid etc, reconfiguring the BSI following the fitment of a new component or accesories, configuring a new head unit etc etc is beyond the scope of these 'readers', and that is where you need to spend £350-£400 for a Lexia interface, or even £££s if you are in business and need kit that will work with a variety of manufacturers cars. It's a huge jump in functionality between simple code readers, no matter how cunning they are, and the serious heavyweight dealer spec kit, and that's what costs the spondies.

·
Registered
70 Posts
reconfiguring the BSI following the fitment of a new component or accesories
Yep, I never expected to be able to get into that level- all I want is to get to the dodgy component without too much trial and error.

activating the ABS pump to bleed the system
I'm a bit worried now... I'm sure I've done this manually on lots of systems including ABS...:scared: Is this no longer possible?

G

·
When you do brakes on an ABS equipped car, by rights yopu should undo the bleed nipples on the calipers when winding the pistons back in, so as to avoid sending rpessure the wrong way through the ABS pump, and forcing all the crud which accumulates in the lower portion of the system back into the pump. Few people bother really, but occasionally, just occasionally it can cause problems. Obviously, once you've done this the pump will need bleeding and the only way to do it properly is to connect Planet and that'll take it through a cycle that bleeds it.

Ditto when you change your fluid every 2-4 years (depending on mileage) - the only way to bleed the pump is with ye olde Planet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That bit on changing brake fuid interesting

Your explanation is why local garages told me no need to change brake fluid on my 53 plate 206.
I am interested in a code reader for my new Bipper Tepee 1.4 HDi 70 Euro IV had the CHECK ENGINE warning 4 times in 340 miles, every time I go to dealers with it on they start it and no warning, I noticed a Innova 3160 Enhanced OBD2 + ABS which had traffic lights for emissions readout, not real cheap but 40% off at moment I saw, mine has 16 pin 'D' type socket with a yellow strip in middle with slot in, has contacts on pins 1-4-5-6-9-14-16 but all pictures I seen on net have different pin outs and why don't they list French cars in their compatibility lists, do they have special codes that are hard to read? Do i need EOBD2 and CAN BUS for mine as I don't need older vehicle capability. It's hard work choosing a decent code reader.
I read OBD after 2004 put sensors before and after CAT that triggers this warning if CAT gets a bit sooted, am I reading things right.

G

·
Your explanation is why local garages told me no need to change brake fluid on my 53 plate 206.
I am interested in a code reader for my new Bipper Tepee 1.4 HDi 70 Euro IV had the CHECK ENGINE warning 4 times in 340 miles, every time I go to dealers with it on they start it and no warning, I noticed a Innova 3160 Enhanced OBD2 + ABS which had traffic lights for emissions readout, not real cheap but 40% off at moment I saw, mine has 16 pin 'D' type socket with a yellow strip in middle with slot in, has contacts on pins 1-4-5-6-9-14-16 but all pictures I seen on net have different pin outs and why don't they list French cars in their compatibility lists, do they have special codes that are hard to read? Do i need EOBD2 and CAN BUS for mine as I don't need older vehicle capability. It's hard work choosing a decent code reader.
I read OBD after 2004 put sensors before and after CAT that triggers this warning if CAT gets a bit sooted, am I reading things right.
I could be wrong but I think you'll need this plus planet
S.1279 module of PPS2000 Lexia-3 Citroen Peugeot

·
Registered
110 Posts
I didn't know this but apparently there is a proper order of bleeding each wheel when doing a renew. Can't remember where I saw the information though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts