Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I being conned??

A few weeks ago, I was unable to start my car. The remote unlocking wouldn't work, when I put the key in it said "auto-theft faulty", all the lights and windscreen wipers came on, and although the engine turned over, it wouldn't start. I called out the mechanic who towed it to my local garage. There I was initially told that the problem was with the immobilizer (which was then ruled out) and then the Body Control Unit had got water in it and corroded (it had rained a lot recently). £500 later with a new BCU, I drove my car away and it seemed to be working fantastically! Lo and behold, 24 hours later (after more rain) exactly the same thing happened and I had to abandon my car at the supermarket until it could be towed again. This time, the mechanic said he could find absolutely nothing wrong with it, and the car suddenly started working fine. He checked all the wiring, the new BCU, immobilizer etc. but nothing was wrong. He sent me away with his small computer thingy which I had to plug in each time I drove to see if that could detect any problems. There followed a few days of perfect driving with no problems. I therefore dropped the computer back again so the mechanic could see if anything was detected. Half an hour later, everything decided to pack in again. Its being towed to the garage AGAIN for further testing to see if there is any chance they can find the problem. Am I being stupid in keeping taking it back to the same person when he can't seem to fix it? Is there something that he's missing? What is wrong with my car?!

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
take the panel off under the steering wheel so you have access to the comms unit unplug all the wires and make sure the socket is pressed into the pcb on the comms unit then put the wires back in and make sure they are in properly you could even check for breaks in the wire at the end near the connector before you put them back in

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Water ingress into wiring can cause strange issues on these did he replace the fusebox under the bonnet or the body computer inside the car as you say BCU but the item inside the car is more accurately called a BSI and the one under bonnet BSM !

As for your question regarding going to the same place this is really the best option as if you go elsewhere they dont know what has already been done and may well waste a lot of time checking what has already been checked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts