Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
resolved now, engine got noisey and stopped and wouldnt turn over any more.:mad:
Happened Friday night, however will turn over now but wont start.
Now on the lookout for another car, might consider a 2.0HDI 407 BUT NOT SURE!

J

·
0 Posts
I see you've put it for sale as being blown... is this all since 'tinkering' with the EGR valve? Did you manage to get this sorted, or do you think it has contributed to the failure of the engine? Seems to be quite a sudden turn of events after you were progressing well with it over recent weeks.

Think I remember you saying its a taxi.... the 2.0HDI may not be the best car for this - they aren't too good on diesel around town :nono:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, never got to the bottom of it, and Im not spending any time stripping the engine. As they not suited as a Taxi im going to be looking at a car with no DPF or DMF.
We are required to bring cars on b4 they are 5 years old, so I should be able to find on 07/08 car without them.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
no, never got to the bottom of it, and Im not spending any time stripping the engine. As they not suited as a Taxi im going to be looking at a car with no DPF or DMF.
We are required to bring cars on b4 they are 5 years old, so I should be able to find on 07/08 car without them.
Think the zenith and x-line without DPF was like a limited edition for 05/06 don`t think they did any after that.

Could always get a qashqai diesel didnt fit dpf till 2010 and you will get about 50mpg around town .

·
Registered
682 Posts
Think the zenith and x-line without DPF was like a limited edition for 05/06 don`t think they did any after that.

Could always get a qashqai diesel didnt fit dpf till 2010 and you will get about 50mpg around town .
Only the x-line didnt have a dpf.

To the OP sorry to hear of your cars plight. I run a 1.6 HDi as a taxi too and have had many an issue with the car but keep plodding on with it as i refuse to drive a Mondano/Vectra. My cars got about a year left on it as here in Hull and a car can only be a taxi up to eight years old so ill be looking over the next year. Im currently thinking about a C5 though its basically a 407 in a different frock or im quite liking the Fiat Croma which you can pick up for next to nothing but thats basically a Vectra C. Apart from those two i really dont like anything else on the orad.

·
Registered
113 Posts

To the OP sorry to hear of your cars plight. I run a 1.6 HDi as a taxi too and have had many an issue with the car but keep plodding on with it as i refuse to drive a Mondano/Vectra. My cars got about a year left on it as here in Hull and a car can only be a taxi up to eight years old so ill be looking over the next year. Im currently thinking about a C5 though its basically a 407 in a different frock or im quite liking the Fiat Croma which you can pick up for next to nothing but thats basically a Vectra C. Apart from those two i really dont like anything else on the orad.
most taxi drivers round our way use skoda Octavia classics :)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

Sebasteeno thought you would have known the zenith dont have dpf ask Brian on 407owners hes got one deadmansfinger:D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
most taxi drivers round our way use skoda Octavia classics :)
Ive been using one the last 2 days, dont like them, they arnt a patch on the 407 for comfort and extras. They are built cheap, engine is noisy and interior is too plasticly.
I liked the 407, but cant get and early non DPF one as I need a 2007 or newer car now.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
not been able to get to sleep tonight thinking about my options, do you think Im being too quick in binning the car, should I either get engine rebuilt or just drop another one in.
The car is paid for in August and Im able to use it as a Taxi until atleast March 2014, at which point I could get a 6 month extention.
Whats the cost of another engine or reconditioning mine based on worst case as far as damage goes, Im able to do the engine swap.
I might pull the head, sump and turbo to have a look, as I already have money invested in maintenance on things like clutch/DMF, cambelt ect.
I love the car, its nice to drive and comfortable, and its good on fuel.
I need to way up the cost verses spending another £5,000+ on another car.
I put a value of about £2,500 at the most on the car with 135,000 miles.
Thanks for you comments.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
not been able to get to sleep tonight thinking about my options, do you think Im being too quick in binning the car, should I either get engine rebuilt or just drop another one in.
The car is paid for in August and Im able to use it as a Taxi until atleast March 2014, at which point I could get a 6 month extention.
Whats the cost of another engine or reconditioning mine based on worst case as far as damage goes, Im able to do the engine swap.
I might pull the head, sump and turbo to have a look, as I already have money invested in maintenance on things like clutch/DMF, cambelt ect.
I love the car, its nice to drive and comfortable, and its good on fuel.
I need to way up the cost verses spending another £5,000+ on another car.
I put a value of about £2,500 at the most on the car with 135,000 miles.
Thanks for you comments.:thumb:

Test drive a qashqai Tekna plenty of gadgets :thumb:eek:r n-tec

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/nissan-70/my-qashqai-pics-18530/

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
I would go for an engine , you just need the block as you`ve all the other parts turbo, pump, etc
would think with fitting you`d be looking at around £800 all in ,

whats it going to cost you to change the car?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I would go for an engine , you just need the block as you`ve all the other parts turbo, pump, etc
would think with fitting you`d be looking at around £800 all in ,

whats it going to cost you to change the car?
I think id go with the engine too seen as you seem to of replaced most of the commen issues already.

Mines currently on 146k but had a replacement engine at 102K and has been no bother since

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looked online last night and a recon engine is about £1,200, Im wary of buying a used engine as its history would be unknown, and I could end up with a blown engine again. Also I dont know if the turbo is any good. Used engines range from about £700 to £1,100.

J

·
0 Posts
If I was you, I would get it looked at by a garage before making any decisions.... it might be something relatively easy/cheap to fix, and then you have the benefit of knowing the history of the car.

·
Registered
682 Posts
looked online last night and a recon engine is about £1,200, Im wary of buying a used engine as its history would be unknown, and I could end up with a blown engine again. Also I dont know if the turbo is any good. Used engines range from about £700 to £1,100.
I think my engine was a grand but then it had new turbo, alternator, timing belt kit etc so the price soon went up a lot

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's what worries me, it can go over £2,000 very fast!

why not just advertise your car now if you get a good price happy days get another if you can not sell it then make the decision to sell it cheap or fix it but my advice is get it on gumtree now.:thumb:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
only expecting to get about £1,000 or so back on it as running cars with same miles and same reg are about £2,500ish.
Shame, as it also has a brand new rear bumper in it as a Mini went in to the back of me in the spring.

J

·
0 Posts
Are these 1.6HDI engines problematic??

It seems a coincidence that yours has gone, Seb has had a replacement, there is another on here listed as being scrapped, and none have particularly high mileages..... do they not have the longevity that the 2.0 do? or is this just a coincidence?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Are these 1.6HDI engines problematic??

It seems a coincidence that yours has gone, Seb has had a replacement, there is another on here listed as being scrapped, and none have particularly high mileages..... do they not have the longevity that the 2.0 do? or is this just a coincidence?
AFAIK its all about the oil changes. Dont stick to regular intervels at your peril or even sooner if its all town driving. I do mine every 8-10K and only use total quartz ineo ecs

1 - 20 of 23 Posts