Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving in intermittent drizzle I have tried using the auto-setting for the screen wiper. Unfortunately the wipers on my 2008 work for a couple of minutes only when there is drizzle, as one would expect, but then suddenly move continuously at top speed, as if in a downpour. (I then have to revert to the 'fixed' intermittent-wipe setting instead but this, of course, defeats the object of having an auto-setting.)

My Peugeot dealer says this switching to high speed wiping is common and is due to water running over the sensor located in front of the rear view mirror. However I have not noticed any running water going up or down the windscreen in these 'drizzle' conditions.

Has anybody else experienced this phenomenon?
Are electronics or sensor likely to be faulty on this car or is there a design fault?

·
5,994 Posts
Often the problem is the sensor has not been fitted to the screen correctly or it has started to lift.

There is a gel pad which holds it in place (on the 807 and 307 as they are the ones i have had but expect them to be the same) When they replaced my windscreen they tried to re-use the pad and caused small bubbles on the pad which made the wipers do the same as yours a new pad fixed the issue.

Ice and incorrect wiper blade size can also cause the same issue (on a 307 if you fit 2x 26" blades and not a 26" and a 28" the sensor is not wiped by the wiper and so they run all the time in the wet)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you windy1603 for your comments.
The car is second hand. However, I don't think the windscreen was replaced by the previous owner, so the gel pad should be fitted to specification. However, how to check this is not obvious to me. The screen above the sensor is clean.

As an experiment, I have fitted a small temporary rain water 'deflector' between the roof and the sensor. This is made of blue-tack and fits in a narrow runnel between the roof and the windscreen. I am now awaiting suitable weather, (i.e. intermittent light rain), to test it. I hope this will deflect any water running off the roof away from the sensor and so prevent the wipers suddenly switching to the aforementioned high speed operation.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hello there,

I thought I was the only one with this 'particularity' in my automatic wipers. It's not a continuous behavior, however, only happens from time on time. The windshield has been never changed, so I discard different adhesive or mount. I don't know any other test or check to do. But, as this only happens eventually, I think I can live with that...

Erick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts