Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of another job, had to remove and reinstall rear brake pads (407), Not difficult, but I'll probably renew them in 6 months max.

To make refitting caliper easier, I tried to gradually compress the piston with a g clamp. Master cylinder lid was removed and laid in place to keep dirt out. I wasn't able to move the piston. Didn't force it, there was no need, and refitting was OK.

When I renew these pads i'll need to make some room. Why is it difficult/ impossible to compress the piston? Does this car have a one way valve ( if so then I expect the method is to open the bleed nipple)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
has the end of the pistons got four grooves on the end if so they are screwed
back to allow new pads to ge fitted
colin

G

·
I've heard a few people mentioning that the pistons have to be screwed back, will have to look out for this when i replace my pads as i've never seen this before! :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
rear brakes

all the cars i worked on with rear disc brakes had to be screwed
back if you havent got the tool you can do it with water pump pliers just turn
the piston and keep putting a bit of presure after a turn or two till you get them back usualy pritty easy:nod:

·
Registered
6 Posts
yes Bluetyler i did say that but not everybody has got the tool so i was giving
another way of doing it i have done it both ways and it would get it done
for anybody who dont want to bye the tool for one job like me you must
have been doing a lot then its worth having the tool:lol:

G

·
A universal caliper winding tool costs well under £15, so it's not worth risking injury or damage using the olde bodge methods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts