Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Manufacturing Defect: Got home, short drive & no coolant

Just got into my drive and the STOP temperature & temps showing red. The car temps have been normal all through the drive.

Switched off and looked at the engine - no obvious signs but but looked at the coolant bottle - empty. Not even a hiss when opened.

Dealer time...

· Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Called servicing -> call to peugeot assist (0800 2940294). ETA 1150..

My concern here is that if the engine has overheated.. it can cause warping and misalignment. Basically destroying the engine. You can't simply add coolant immediately either otherwise the temperature difference is likely to damage the engine further.

Been all ok except that..

Total number of miles: 117. 9 days of ownership.[edit]actually wife corrected me.. 7 days of ownership[/edit]

· Registered
683 Posts
Just got into my drive and the STOP temperature & temps showing red. The car temps have been normal all through the drive.

Switched off and looked at the engine - no obvious signs but but looked at the coolant bottle - empty. Not even a hiss when opened.

Dealer time...
Were there any signs it leaked out, I assume coolant is put in at the factory and the dealer during PDI checks the levels. How far did you drive hopefully not far. It is shocking and was missed twice.

Just read your reply above 117 miles it must have had coolant in and its all leaked out from somewhere. As you got the overheat message when you pulled into your drive and turned off the engine immediately your engine will probably be ok the Stop message would come on before engine damage occurred. Wow I wouldn't be happy though, it needs checking over and documented

· Registered
683 Posts
Wowza, it's worth checking the car and where you park for signs of leakage.

Check the expansion tank for a water line, if they sent it out empty, a clean tank could be your only way of proving it
Car surely wouldn't do 117 miles without showing a temp warning I reckon he lost it all on his last journey.

· Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Manufacturing fault - Pipe not clamped hard enough at factory

Update

AA guy filled it with water, strapped a pressurisation pump to the top of the reservoir ...

Result coolant coming out the back of the engine as a hose is not clamped on hard enough so it weeps/leaks under pressure. The clamping is done at the factory and has not been clamped hard enough.

In short the AA guy's opinion is that it is a manufacturing fault that the factory clamping machine is not clamping it hard enough.

So the car has been taken back to the dealership... and the fun is the "booking" for them to look at it... monday.

So to all 3008SUV owners and new owners: CHECK YOUR COOLANT LEVELS for the first week of ownership/driving as this is a manufacturing defect.

Empty coolant reservoir - this should be full of coolant and antifreeze (blue) as mine was..
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Automotive exterior

· Registered
1,423 Posts
Sorry to hear that Nick, it's very disappointing. Definitely worth keeping an eye on coolant levels for a while, but I imagine different machinery is used for different engine blocks, so might just affect that engine.

· Registered
1,616 Posts
It wasn't a Friday afternoon car leaving the factory was it Nick?

You've got me worried now; I shall be doing a 400 mile journey as soon as I pick mine up. My Ford Focus came with a full continental breakdown service included. Is it the same with Peugeot?

· Registered
1,423 Posts
Hopefully a one off Chris, not that it's much comfort for poor Nick. With thousands of these on the road, and being used a demonstrators, it's the first time I've heard of it, and I can't find any other reports. Very poor though, and proves they don't properly check the cars before they leave the factory. I would have thought a pressure test on the coolant system should be done on every vehicle.

· Registered
1,423 Posts
I was going to say Nick, unless that hose is fitted to the back of the engine before it's installed, is it possible it might have to be fitted and tightened by hand? I can't see a machine being able to get to it once the engine is in the car. I'm probably wrong, as i have no idea how they build them.

· Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was going to say Nick, unless that hose is fitted to the back of the engine before it's installed, is it possible it might have to be fitted and tightened by hand? I can't see a machine being able to get to it once the engine is in the car. I'm probably wrong, as i have no idea how they build them.
That's the AA blokes perspective - the engines are built and the clamps are machine applied, the fix is normally to cut it off and use a jubilee clip on instead.

Given the most popular forecast engine is the 1.6 BlueHDi 120 for those that want diesels .. it could be more common if it's not picked up.

· Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What about the breakdown service though Nick? You mentioned calling out the AA, but is this your membership or is it included as part of the Peugeot package?
I took the Peugeot 7 day then the next year as it was cheaper than most other places.

The car is covered by peugeot, so when I called the sevice line they passed me to peugeot assist and when the bloke arrived it was an AA van and bloke - it wasn't me calling AA directly.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.