Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 multiplexed 206 1.4i.

My wife's Peugeot 206 was down to 1 key, this key was fine and worked ok including the door remote function.
Got a blade cut, got a new ID46 transponder from fleebay, shoved them in an old key carcass and added the key with pp2000. To do this the original key also must be added back in so I did this and re-sync'd it. Both keys now work but the original key has lost its door remote function. Its a year or so since I last used pp2000 but in the past I've done one other key for myself and a few for friends all without the slightest problem, in fact its so simple a child could do it. Has anyone else encountered anything like this? Needless to say I've tried all the obvious but I'm a 'spanners' guy not a tec so might be doing something silly.
Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated
Bill.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Check that the battery has not coincidentally reached end-of-life, and the contacts are clean, etc.

If that's ok, all I can think of is repeating the programming exercise (with both keys) and re-syncing again. Perhaps it will take on the second go?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ian,
Thanks for the reply. So far I've repeated the process several times with no luck, re-booted pp2000 and tried again, still no luck, disconnected the +v battery terminal on the car for an hour and tried again, no luck. The button cell checked out fine, I replaced it anyway but still nothing.
I'm guessing I wont be able to recover this situation but it would be nice to establish whats happened.
Bill

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hi Bill,

You probably already know that 2nd hand fob modules can't be re-used on cars other than the one originally programmed, so the only way ahead seems to be a new one, which will also require a new immobiliser chip. Costly :(

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
i presume the remote fob you are talking about was the only key you have for the car that was working fine before you did anything

if the above is correct the go to point 2, if the above is not correct then go to point 1.

point 1,
you can no program a used (second hand) remote pcb to another car, this applies even if you change the transponder chip.

point 2,
if someone has lost the chip out of a remote key fob in the past and then had a new chip cloned from another key (clone from a key that is not the same key the chip was lost from) then when you program a new transponder it will delete the remote out of the car and you wont be able to use it again, the reason for this is: when the remote pcb and transponder is programmed they have id number and are paired together on programming, e.g remote pcb has "id a" transponder has "id 1" so when programmed id 1 transponder it now has id a stored against it, so when you program new chips it deletes all old keys not present out so when it deletes id 1 it also deletes id a.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi trustme,
Its taken me awhile to get my head around that, as I said in my initial post I'm more of a 'spanners' guy than a tec.
I think what your explaining is that if at some point there were two remote keys and the rf pc boards had become swapped or if a newly programmed transponder had been put into a functioning remote key then the remote would continue to work but when going through the pp2000 key process the 'pairing' would be seen as incorrect so the remote would be deleted.
My wife's had the car since it was 3 years old so dont know the key history before that so you could be right. It came with two keys, one remote and one plain, both have been working ok. I've changed the front of the remote fob itself twice because the buttons became chewed up, the plain key had no buttons but was ok until it was lost a few weeks ago and it worried me having only one key hence the new one. My old brain is tired now from taking all this in so since Its 9pm there's just time to chill with a cool beer at our local pub :)

Many thanks to Ian and yourself

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
If you do decide to get a new fob module, be aware that there are four different ones, which look identical, depending on age of car and whether it has front fogs (yes!). Only the correct one will work. If you want to know the correct part no for your car, post the last eight digits of your VIN, and we can look it up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest Ian I just don't know what to do from here, I just wish I could pin down for sure exactly whats gone wrong. It could be as trustme has said or it could be something I've done wrong or I suppose it could be some glitch with the cars bsi, it could be anything. :( Googling hasn't helped, lots about how complex it is to make the remote function work on a new key but nothing about loosing the function on the original key. I've seen it suggested that these keys are completely 'dumb' and the car is simply programmed to accept the key/keys, I can 90% go along with this but there has to be something going the other way or it would be possible to program a second hand key etc etc. I have also read that the rf remote is coded to the cars pin. All very confusing to an old numpty like me. I'm reluctant to go any further without a solid chance of success so Ill probably just accept things as they are, since its my wifes car I guess it will ultimately depend on the amount of nagging I get.
Bill

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Basically when the keys are originally coded to the car there are 2 parts to the key

1 the chip
2 the remote board

When the chip is coded it is MATCHED to the remote board so from then on this chip AND remote board will only work on the car they are coded to

If for any reason the chip in the key is changed the chip can be coded to the car but then the remote no longer works as it does not match the chip it was originally coded with

Sounds to me like something was done to the key at some point in past using cloning software possibly as trustme says a cloned key does not need programmed using planet it will simply work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts