Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as well I recently purchased a pp2000 kit, the abs light came on - read fault code in planet, which said :

"Front right hand wheel sensor faulty" - so I'm assuming a new sensor is required.

The good old anti pollution fault came back, giving the car some 'beans' up a long hill, the computer says words to this effect :

EGR, not enough air getting to it.

Tested EGR - it seemed to make the necessary noises.

So, what does this mean? MAF buggered? new air filter? (which is a bit rammy) or something else? Scorching weather - so very hot air going into engine - less volume etc - make any difference. hdi engine.

No beans = no anti pollution fault.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Just as well I recently purchased a pp2000 kit, the abs light came on - read fault code in planet, which said :

"Front right hand wheel sensor faulty" - so I'm assuming a new sensor is required.

The good old anti pollution fault came back, giving the car some 'beans' up a long hill, the computer says words to this effect :

So, what does this mean? MAF buggered? new air filter? (which is a bit rammy) or something else? Scorching weather - so very hot air going into engine - less volume etc - make any difference. hdi engine.

change air filter and take vacuum pipe off egr and see how it runs then

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

Might be worth checking the sensor spacing and if any electric contacts clean them might save a few quid if lucky

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheapest option first - new air filter on the way - it needs changing anyway.

What will blocking off the egr rubber pipe do? Won't it stay closed - so combustion temp goes up, more nox out the back and turbo spins up faster?

What if I block it off and the fault reappears?

What if it stays away?

Ta :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had a look at the egr - its right at the back of the engine - it's just too much hassle to disconnect the rubber tubing.

On the other hand, the maf is easy to get at - so off it came. The mesh inside was filthy - a good poke with a paint brush and run through with water - all is now clean. This may well be the problem. We'll see tomorrow.

·
11,766 Posts
If it's a 90 just unplug and block the pipe which plugs into the EGR servo, that's nice and easy to get to just between the engine and radiator, to the right and below the fuel filter.

A golf tee works brilliantly.

And please tell me you're joking when you say you cleaned the MAF with water? There are countless posts about MAF cleaning, one this very morning. If it wasn't faulty before it is now.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'Nice and easy' - I like that. I'll have a look next time I get a few mins.

I can't tell you I didn't clean the maf with water. A good poke with a stiff paint brush, a blast of wd40 to get the cack out and then rinsed through with some water (not soapy I might add). Then all dried off with a fan.

Plugged it back in - started OK- the test will be tomorrow when it gets a good blast down the M56.

They are only £30/£40 quid to replace.

I'm ashamed to say that the filter is black - I only replaced in 50k miles ago - new purflux one on the way. I also noticed that the air filter case catch is broken so perhaps this is how the 'shyte' got through to the maf in the first place. Can't grumble really, the car is 12 years old after all:thumb:.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
'Nice and easy' - I like that. I'll have a look next time I get a few mins.

I'm ashamed to say that the filter is black - I only replaced in 50k miles ago - new purflux one on the way. I also noticed that the air filter case catch is broken so perhaps this is how the 'shyte' got through to the maf in the first place. Can't grumble really, the car is 12 years old after all:thumb:.
Blimey you would expect longer than 50k miles I would return it under warranty scandal things are made to such a low standard ! Vbg !

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On reflection - I don't think me cleaning the metal mesh is going to make a difference. Apparently there should be 2 thin wires across the prongs in the middle of the maf - I couldn't see/feel these - so new maf on order. God knows how the car is running without them.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It did make a difference - no anti pollution fault for the last few days - despite me giving the car stick - on the motorway and on the same steep hill.

Perhaps refitting the maf has re-made a dodgy connection, sealed an air leak or whatever - but all seems well so far.

I'll keep the new boxed maf on the shelf for the time being. :)

·
11,766 Posts
On the 90bhp model you can run it with the MAF cable disconnected and get no error messages. What its doing for the car and fuelling I don't know.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm. Fitted the new maf and air filter this afternoon. No anti-pollution fault, but car has gone back to its more usual 'sluggishness'. The refitted old maf seemed to give more poke - it would shift if floored - probably more fuel injected into each cylinder.

I had a proper look at the old maf - two wires intact - in the new maf one wire has been replaced with a resistor.

Assume that maf's just give up the ghost after a period of time - physically the old one looks intact - but in reality its 12 years old and just shagged out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts