Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been reading up on some issues I have had and strangely they link to power steering in some way - so have a few questions.

The steering can be hard at some points, and doesnt feel smooth, cornering the other day it went hard as if the car had stalled but it hadnt.

There have been some slow periodic black drops forming under the car at the front which I thought was initially oil, but am now wondering if it is steering fluid?

I took the cap off to check and all I could see was a gause type think sinking into the bottle with no sign of fluid or any way to see fluid below it as it was blocking vision.

Any ideas what to do? or how to check level properly?

Cheers
Nathan

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi nathan
there is a level indicator mark on the power steering fluid bottle which gives you max and min levels,only use proper DA power steering fluid from the dealers.costs around a tenner for a litre.

·
5,027 Posts
top up your fluid with the correct fluid past the maximum mark and it will sort itself, mine is halfway up the tube so well over the mark.
Whereabouts are you ??? anywhere near me and ive got some fluid in the shed you can top up with for free :thumb:

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi again nathan
sorry did not realize yours is a 2.7 .we had one the other day doing the same ,we renewed the power steering fluid using semi synthetic atf fluid,hope this helps you.
col

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for repsonses - I am based up near Preston, Lancashire unfortunately, but thanks for offer!

I will have a look on my break and see if I can see the markers - then get myself some semi synthetic ATF fluid.

Cheers, hopefully it will ride out and sort itself :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, had a look and can not see a min or max level guide on the bottle or inside the neck on the gause thing - any ideas where the marker is or am I being a bit thick here? (probably)

Cheers
Nathan

·
5,027 Posts
on mine its on the lid as you open it, unscrew the lid and there should be a bit of plastic about 6 inches long attached to it ???

·
11,767 Posts
I had similar problems. Overfilling helped (and is a known issue and fix according to Autodata).

But things really improved when I unplugged the electrical connector to the pump and cleaned up the contacts and waterproofed them.

But that's on a 307.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Theres the problem - mine must have snapped off as I have no dipstick on it - great! so I guess I will just take an educated guess as there is zip liquid visible so far in the gause.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok, had a look and can not see a min or max level guide on the bottle or inside the neck on the gause thing - any ideas where the marker is or am I being a bit thick here? (probably)

Cheers
Nathan
Ah. Same as mine. Is there fluid in the gause? If not, top up until gause is half full. Then monitor to see if it goes down. Top up again.

Then monitor again! Second top up is just to make sure system is defo full of fluid. No air gaps i think? After second top up you want to monitor how long it takes for gause to empty. Gives you a rate of flow then. Might just be low from previous owner, or possible leak.

If you register with service box - there's a link on forum about it but i can't find it? - service box will give diagrams of the power steering system so at least you can try and trace pipe work and see if there is a leak? But there's not much viewing space in the engine bay on the 2.7!!

C

·
0 Posts
I had a similar issue with my old 407sw 2.0 hdi the 2 things i did where

1. As Savs says top up the fluid etc even to the point of overfilling it as it helps stop the air bubbles etc etc

2. replaced the bottom ball joint ( Frip Joints ) mine looked ok and had recently assed an MOT but when i removed them they where buggered like the ones in Trems how to! after that my steering was silky smooth for the remaining 11 months that I owned her.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I've overfilled both of my 407s by about half to three quarts of an inch and never had any notchiness or any other ailment.
When i got my blue one the fluid was about halway, and it would notch while turning round on my drive. So i slung some fluid in and it kept frothing for about a week. As soon as that stopped I topped up some more, and that sorted that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My 407 had occasional lumpy power steering, i checked the level and it appeared fine.

Then I started the car and watched the level in the filling tube vanish !!

I now top it up with as much as it can take and keep it there. Not had a problem since.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been topped up and over filled fora week now and used daily - the fluid has not dropped one bit, so not sure if there was a leak or it was just never maintained and topped up ever?!

Will keep an eye on it, but staying as is.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any update? Has the level gone down now? If not, then yes, sounds like last owner didn't check/ service. Good stuff if it's not gone down even now :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts