Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Peugeot 407 auto (05 reg). My steering felt heavy so I checked the power steering fluid level and it was below min. I topped up the level a small amount as the dip stick was wet between the min and max marks. I went for a drive and it didn't feel any different. I got home and checked the reservoir and it was really foamy. Do I need to top it up some more or could there possibly be another problem?
Thank you

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I had this problem with my first 407, a 55. Aerated pas fluid and the odd notch. I read somewhere that overfilling the reservoir slightly can help. So I did, and it did.

·
5,017 Posts
Top fluid up past max mark and with engine off (jacked up is easier) turn steering lock to lock to bleed system,should be fine afterwards

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

·
5,017 Posts
What colour fluid was in the reservoir? What colour fluid did you top it up with?
Good point,needs to be total da fluid

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What colour fluid was in the reservoir? What colour fluid did you top it up with?
I don't know what was in there before as couldn't see anything. I purchased it from Halfords and they told me which one to put in. It's pink in colour.
I've just checked reservoir again and can't see any liquid again. I'm guessing there must be a problem as I put the fluid in yesterday ?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I don't know what was in there before as couldn't see anything. I purchased it from Halfords and they told me which one to put in. It's pink in colour.
I've just checked reservoir again and can't see any liquid again. I'm guessing there must be a problem as I put the fluid in yesterday ?
Oh great... the monkeys gave you the wrong stuff and now you've put the wrong stuff in and that's most likely why it's foaming. Another user had this exact same issue.

I think it's normal for the fluid to drop over time as mine was low when I bought the car but it's been fine since I topped it up. When it gets too low, you end up with air in the system, so all the compressor does is compress the air, which gives you that loss of power steering. - Can one of the mods make a sticky on the 407 page because 90% of the 407's (2.7 HDi uses conventional power steering) will need topping up at some point and it's much better to top it up with the right stuff to begin with.

The electrohydraulic power steering pump requires Total Fluide DA (or the same stuff from Peugeot dealers). The red stuff is for conventional hydraulic power steering.

What you should do now is drain the system and flush it out with the correct oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh great... the monkeys gave you the wrong stuff and now you've put the wrong stuff in and that's most likely why it's foaming. Another user had this exact same issue.

I think it's normal for the fluid to drop over time as mine was low when I bought the car but it's been fine since I topped it up. When it gets too low, you end up with air in the system, so all the compressor does is compress the air, which gives you that loss of power steering. - Can one of the mods make a sticky on the 407 page because 90% of the 407's (2.7 HDi uses conventional power steering) will need topping up at some point and it's much better to top it up with the right stuff to begin with.

The electrohydraulic power steering pump requires Total Fluide DA (or the same stuff from Peugeot dealers). The red stuff is for conventional hydraulic power steering.

What you should do now is drain the system and flush it out with the correct oil.
Oh no really. I gave them my reg number and they said it was definitely the right one. Damn.

I better call a mechanic then ?

Thank you for the reply

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been using non Peugeot stuff about 10 years and I've yet to have a steering rack blow up...
It's probably the correct spec though right? I noticed that there were a few different types of PS fluid when I had to refil in one of my older cars. The manual suggested on type, but the systems online and in shops suggested another type. I just went with the type in the manual.

It's like the VW/Audi G12/G13 coolant. It's pink so most places assume it's just the standard pink stuff on the shelf, but it's not. You can get aftermarket stuff, but it does cost a bit more than the standard coolant, but it's worth it as that's all you can use in them.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Oh no really. I gave them my reg number and they said it was definitely the right one. Damn.

I better call a mechanic then ?

Thank you for the reply
Does it mention your reg number on the receipt anywhere? What did they actually give you, what was the name of the fluid? Reason I ask is, you may be able to claim the total cost of the "repair" back from Halfrauds.

Just re-read your previous message, if the level has dropped significantly, you might have a leak, check underneath the car for any oily leaks.

I am not sure exactly how to flush out the fluid in the system, hopefully another member can inform you. However from what I have read, you can remove the return line, bung up the return hole in the reservoir, then simply keep turning the wheel and topping up the reservoir until the wrong fluid has been removed.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've been using non Peugeot stuff about 10 years and I've yet to have a steering rack blow up...
I very rarely use Peugeot stuff as you can usually find the correct specification stuff much cheaper. There are a few exceptions but generally use Bosch / Purflux filters on my car, Total Quartz engine oils, ATE SL.6 Brake fluid etc etc. As long as it's the correct specification, it won't do any harm.

However the OP hasn't used the correct specification stuff. What the ramifications from that, who know's but I am guessing it will shorten the pump life down. The rack itself is pretty simple and would most likely be able to use any sort of oil, it is just a simple hydraulic piston at the end of the day.

PSA wouldn't create a pump that needs to use a specific oil if standard power steering fluid would be able to be used safely and effectively.

·
5,673 Posts
The fluid spec is a legacy of the Hydropneumatic suspension used on citroens it the power steering on these shared the pump and fluid with the suspension it used so most of their racks were designed for it so Peugeot ended up using them and LHM in their systems.

LHM (normally Green) is a mineral oil and Normal PAS (Red) is Synthetic oil and can cause issues with the seals in the system

·
Registered
769 Posts
The fluid spec is a legacy of the Hydropneumatic suspension used on citroens it the power steering on these shared the pump and fluid with the suspension it used so most of their racks were designed for it so Peugeot ended up using them and LHM in their systems.

LHM (normally Green) is a mineral oil and Normal PAS (Red) is Synthetic oil and can cause issues with the seals in the system
Not true at all. LHM fluid came about as a replacement for LHS fluid from the 50's due to it's hygroscopic nature.
However LHM fluid was only used on hydractive systems until 2000, where LDS fluid replaced LHM.

The rest of the cars in the PSA range used conventional power steering fluid, there are absolutely no legacy throwbacks.

If Peugeot wanted to use conventional power steering fluid, they would have done because the 407 if equipped with a 2.7 HDi uses a conventional power steering pump... and conventional power steering fluid.
So a rack already exists with the "correct" seals they could have used across the entire range... but Peugeot didn't because most likely the issue is the pump, not the rack.

There will be a reason why PSA & Renault use a totally different oil specifically for Electrohydraulic units. Technically you can use LDS fluid however all manufacturers to my knowledge colour LDS fluid orange still, the OP used a pink/red fluid which is conventional fluid.

Oh and German cars can be just as complicated too ;)

·
5,673 Posts
Always get confused with the different versions of the Fluid. They did change over most system from around 2007+ to normal PAS. That was also the time they started to offer versions of cars with normal suspension so that may have been the reason for swapping.

My old 2003 307 had electric PAS with the Mineral fluid i think facelift 307's switched to normal PAS

·
Registered
67 Posts
overfilling worked for me

on a previous car my Pug 407 I had a similar issue, overfilled it and fixed all the issues. Now 5 years later I am still in contact with the new owner and it's still going strong, apart from an ABS issue and a clogged fuel filter but that's another story.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts