Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have a leaking power steering rack on my 2004 Peugeot 407 2.0HDi. I need some help with knowing how to replace the rack before i attempt it. Has anyone changes one on this car or has a instruction book on how to?

Cars VIN is: VF36DRHRH21032319

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi!
I have a leaking power steering rack on my 2004 Peugeot 407 2.0HDi. I need some help with knowing how to replace the rack before i attempt it. Has anyone changes one on this car or has a instruction book on how to?

Cars VIN is: VF36DRHRH21032319
It is pretty straight forward. Done it on my 407. Twice actually.
You need the car on a a lift or high stands.
Both wheels off. Use a 6mm hexkey to remove the oil line on the steeringpump. There isnt much room. But it is possible. Remove steering joints
Remove the 2 big bolts in the subframe if I remember right they ar 19mm.
Now its loose so we move to the inside of the car. You need to undo the joint on the steeringwheel. This is the only thing that can be tricky. You need to be sure that the wheel are pointing absolutely straight. The car has a steering wheel angle sensor. All hell brakes loose if it isnt in allignment. If you have to turn the steeringwheel in order to loosen the nut. Be very sure to turn it back so it is facing straight forward again before you take the steering coloumn apart.
Now you are ready to wickle it out through the wheel well.
Second time I did it. I dropped the subframe all together. I had to do some other work on the car so I needed to remove it anyway. So if you have access to a lift this way is both faster an easier.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is pretty straight forward. Done it on my 407. Twice actually.
You need the car on a a lift or high stands.
Both wheels off. Use a 6mm hexkey to remove the oil line on the steeringpump. There isnt much room. But it is possible. Remove steering joints
Remove the 2 big bolts in the subframe if I remember right they ar 19mm.
Now its loose so we move to the inside of the car. You need to undo the joint on the steeringwheel. This is the only thing that can be tricky. You need to be sure that the wheel are pointing absolutely straight. The car has a steering wheel angle sensor. All hell brakes loose if it isnt in allignment. If you have to turn the steeringwheel in order to loosen the nut. Be very sure to turn it back so it is facing straight forward again before you take the steering coloumn apart.
Now you are ready to wickle it out through the wheel well.
Second time I did it. I dropped the subframe all together. I had to do some other work on the car so I needed to remove it anyway. So if you have access to a lift this way is both faster an easier.
Thanks alot mate. Ill try to remove it today and ill post something here if i need help.

For the bolt that holds steering wheel colum to the rack, where is that bolt? Is it behind accelerator pedal or how do i get to it?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks alot mate. Ill try to remove it today and ill post something here if i need help.

For the bolt that holds steering wheel colum to the rack, where is that bolt? Is it behind accelerator pedal or how do i get to it?
Yes you need to remove the cover. There is 2 plastic screws in the top.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you need to remove the cover. There is 2 plastic screws in the top.
Do you remember if you got the rack out from driver side wheel well, or passengers?

Very bad weathers here in Norway, so im getting as much information on the rack untill it gets sunny 😅. Then ill replace it

Also any other tips for removing & installing is appreciated.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Do you remember if you got the rack out from driver side wheel well, or passengers?

Very bad weathers here in Norway, so im getting as much information on the rack untill it gets sunny . Then ill replace it

Also any other tips for removing & installing is appreciated.
Left hand side.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Left hand side.
Hi man.
I just disconnected everything from the rack. It is fully loose. But its so fucking big lmao, how am i supposed to get this out? Did you just lift and pull out from left side (driver side)? Help me out here 😅

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi man.
I just disconnected everything from the rack. It is fully loose. But its so fucking big lmao, how am i supposed to get this out? Did you just lift and pull out from left side (driver side)? Help me out here
View attachment 89057 View attachment 89058
The bolts in the rack needs to come out not just the nuts. Then it should be fairly easy to get out.
If you loosen the subframe you wiil have even more room.
But it should come out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bolts in the rack needs to come out not just the nuts. Then it should be fairly easy to get out.
If you loosen the subframe you wiil have even more room.
But it should come out.
Ooh, the bolt aswell huh. Then i wont have to lift and pull, only pull. I see i see. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How are you doing?
I know it looks like ive been on this rack for like a week but i started last night and stopped because it was late. Anyway, the bolts you said i need to remove are noy coming off... its a big, well tightened bolt with a small Torx20 head. I have broken all 3 of my T20's trying to undo the bolt. First off, i have to buy more T20's, second off, i doubt its coming off with only T20 anyway. Did yours just come out easily? No rust to be seen on the bolts btw.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know it looks like ive been on this rack for like a week but i started last night and stopped because it was late. Anyway, the bolts you said i need to remove are noy coming off... its a big, well tightened bolt with a small Torx20 head. I have broken all 3 of my T20's trying to undo the bolt. First off, i have to buy more T20's, second off, i doubt its coming off with only T20 anyway. Did yours just come out easily? No rust to be seen on the bolts btw.
View attachment 89063
2 8mm nuts and a 17 wrench a long pipe.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It's called the 2 nut removal method.

If you lock 2 normal type nuts tight together on a stud you can use a spanner to remove the stud without damaging it.
Then spanner on the bottom nut to unscrew the stud.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok guys. First off, thanks for eveything even so far. If you look at the picture i posted of the stud above, the stud is inside a "hole", so i can get both nuts on but i cant get a wrench to the inner nut to loosen that one because its in a hole straight upwards. I can only get socket on outer nut. Any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah but the nuts you took off.
They are I believe 8 mm or maybe 10.
Take both of them on 1 bolt and tighten them against each other. Then unscrew with a 17 wrench.
Are you sure your rack looked like mine? Can you take a look at the picture i posted, the bolt/stud is in a hole and i can get two nuts on it, but no space to get a wrench on the inner stud.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are you sure your rack looked like mine? Can you take a look at the picture i posted, the bolt/stud is in a hole and i can get two nuts on it, but no space to get a wrench on the inner stud.
Its the exactly the same. But they were not tight at all. A little WD 40 and they came of.
If it is to much trouble just loosen the subframe. It is only 4 bolts and not that heavy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its the exactly the same. But they were not tight at all. A little WD 40 and they came of.
If it is to much trouble just loosen the subframe. It is only 4 bolts and not that heavy.
All right. Ill try again tomorrow. Did the stud come out from bottom, IE falls on the ground. Or from the top IE goes up to the rack?

If it came out from the bottom and fell on the ground, that would mean it is reverse threaded, and i have to tighten to loosen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I changed the steering rack once on my old 406. I loosened the subframe but only by 2-3 cm (put a jack under so it doesnt hang on the bolts). It was enough to take out the rack.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts