Peugeot Forums banner

Power Steering Rack Replacement

11K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  Turbovulc 
#1 ·
Hi!
I have a leaking power steering rack on my 2004 Peugeot 407 2.0HDi. I need some help with knowing how to replace the rack before i attempt it. Has anyone changes one on this car or has a instruction book on how to?

Cars VIN is: VF36DRHRH21032319

#2 ·
It is pretty straight forward. Done it on my 407. Twice actually.
You need the car on a a lift or high stands.
Both wheels off. Use a 6mm hexkey to remove the oil line on the steeringpump. There isnt much room. But it is possible. Remove steering joints
Remove the 2 big bolts in the subframe if I remember right they ar 19mm.
Now its loose so we move to the inside of the car. You need to undo the joint on the steeringwheel. This is the only thing that can be tricky. You need to be sure that the wheel are pointing absolutely straight. The car has a steering wheel angle sensor. All hell brakes loose if it isnt in allignment. If you have to turn the steeringwheel in order to loosen the nut. Be very sure to turn it back so it is facing straight forward again before you take the steering coloumn apart.
Now you are ready to wickle it out through the wheel well.
Second time I did it. I dropped the subframe all together. I had to do some other work on the car so I needed to remove it anyway. So if you have access to a lift this way is both faster an easier.

#3 ·
It is pretty straight forward. Done it on my 407. Twice actually.
You need the car on a a lift or high stands.
Both wheels off. Use a 6mm hexkey to remove the oil line on the steeringpump. There isnt much room. But it is possible. Remove steering joints
Remove the 2 big bolts in the subframe if I remember right they ar 19mm.
Now its loose so we move to the inside of the car. You need to undo the joint on the steeringwheel. This is the only thing that can be tricky. You need to be sure that the wheel are pointing absolutely straight. The car has a steering wheel angle sensor. All hell brakes loose if it isnt in allignment. If you have to turn the steeringwheel in order to loosen the nut. Be very sure to turn it back so it is facing straight forward again before you take the steering coloumn apart.
Now you are ready to wickle it out through the wheel well.
Second time I did it. I dropped the subframe all together. I had to do some other work on the car so I needed to remove it anyway. So if you have access to a lift this way is both faster an easier.
Thanks alot mate. Ill try to remove it today and ill post something here if i need help.

For the bolt that holds steering wheel colum to the rack, where is that bolt? Is it behind accelerator pedal or how do i get to it?

#15 ·
It's called the 2 nut removal method.

If you lock 2 normal type nuts tight together on a stud you can use a spanner to remove the stud without damaging it.
Then spanner on the bottom nut to unscrew the stud.

#16 ·
Ok guys. First off, thanks for eveything even so far. If you look at the picture i posted of the stud above, the stud is inside a "hole", so i can get both nuts on but i cant get a wrench to the inner nut to loosen that one because its in a hole straight upwards. I can only get socket on outer nut. Any ideas?

#22 · (Edited)
Ok guys. First off, thanks for eveything even so far. If you look at the picture i posted of the stud above, the stud is inside a "hole", so i can get both nuts on but i cant get a wrench to the inner nut to loosen that one because its in a hole straight upwards. I can only get socket on outer nut. Any ideas? I ran into exactly the same, tried heating the bolt, but eventually the little torq hole inside the bolt gave away. Inly thing I can think of now is to put back a nut and weld that nut on the bolt, then unscrew... any more ideas?

#25 · (Edited)
Finally got both of the bolts of by welding a nut on them, mine sat realy hard. Anyhow the steering rack still wont come out, tried wiggle and pulling. Its still attached to the rubber inside the car, do you have to remove this aswel or is it the only way to "lower the subframe". Not sure wich bolts are for the subframe either? and quite difficut to find a lifting place instead of lifting in the subframe which I
do now. Any tips/ideas appriciated! thanks.

Fluid Amber Liquid Gas Circle
Eye Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wood

Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.