Peugeot Forums banner

Power Steering Pump Replacement

29K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Killerwhat 
#1 ·
Power steering pump on 307 Quicksilver 136 seems to have failed.

Working fine, then steering assistance off then on for a short time then off.

Peugeot Planet advises Steering ECU does not answer.

Fuses appear to be OK, Fluid Level Appears OK.

I am assuming electronics in Electric Pump have died.

Can anyone advise easiest way to access pump to remove.

I have ordered a new pump which should be coded correctly to vehicle (apparently pumps are coded according to wheel size etc, presumably to set up assistance proportional to tyre footprint etc)

Anyone got any advice on connecting new pump and establishing connection to BUS or any precautions to take to avoid knackering it before I start !!

Many thanks.

When this car goes it is OK to drive, but is the most costly per mile I have ever owned...and the biggest user of my time.

See less See more
#3 ·
I would have looked at loom BEFORE CHANGING PUMP these pumps can fail but usually completely intermitently is nearly always down to bad signals

Check the plug check the earth to the pump check the alternator output is stable this is important as the steering ecu wants to see engine running

Do a bsi reset this usually fixes anything dodgy in our taxis including the steering missbehaving

If you have no comms then whatever is causing that is most likely ALL thats wrong

#4 ·
Electric Power Steering Intermittent Fault

Well after trying a new electric pump, reverting to the old electric pump and the vehicle either having or not having power steering. All wiring between pump and fuse box checked. Turned out to be under bonnet fuse box. This contains relays and solid state electronics and seems unfathomable. Wacking it fairly hard would sometimes bring the power steering pump back on.

Replacement of the fuse box may also have cured spurious anti pollution fault light and attempted regens which seemed to be based on spurious signals rather than any kind of true fault.

We will see.

Hope this is of use to someone pulling out their hair whilst banging head against the wall.

The fuse box is not coded to the vehicle so it is a matter of paying £140 odd quid for a new one and replacing it.

#9 ·
Thanks guys, was quoted 625 quid plus VAT for a new steering pump. I have had problems with the under bonnet fuse box before not any fault of Peugeot mind some idiot had drenched it with what looked like ATF. I'll give it another wash in acitone. That also helped last time with getting rid of funny fault codes

#14 ·
Hi folks, just joined and felt compelled to contribute to this thread as it pointed me in the right direction. I looked in the under bonnet fuse box and pulled the 70 amp fuse to the ps pump. One blade was burned like a spot weld so I cleaned it, turned it to put the other one in its socket and ..bingo! It all woke up again!
Thanks for all your thoughts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.