Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys/girls

Been a while and yet another problem

Rac just been out. Lucky I wasn't driving and was parked at work when the power steering stop warning happened.

I need a new power steering pump.
My question is - on the label which part of it is the part number. And do all numbers have to match or just the part number.
Is there any surprises I might need to know when swapping them as well.
Some say a recode some say they don't. Depending if its new or used.

Any help would be great
My guess is the top number is the part number. Which matches other pumps on ebay. The number under that the last 4 are usually different.
Even though they say it fits a 2.2 hdi

Thanks again for your help in advance.

·
Registered
209 Posts
hi guys/girls

Been a while and yet another problem

Rac just been out. Lucky I wasn't driving and was parked at work when the power steering stop warning happened.

I need a new power steering pump.
My question is - on the label which part of it is the part number. And do all numbers have to match or just the part number.
Is there any surprises I might need to know when swapping them as well.
Some say a recode some say they don't. Depending if its new or used.

Any help would be great
My guess is the top number is the part number. Which matches other pumps on ebay. The number under that the last 4 are usually different.
Even though they say it fits a 2.2 hdi

View attachment 89637

Thanks again for your help in advance.
The number starting with HPI is the right one

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats good news as I ordered it on Wednesday and the hpi number matches.
Hopefully here Monday. Forgot how bad it is without a car relying on everyone else. But means I can call in all the lift favours from years gone by.
Also got my inline skates for venturing places quicker than walking.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thats good news as I ordered it on Wednesday and the hpi number matches.
Hopefully here Monday. Forgot how bad it is without a car relying on everyone else. But means I can call in all the lift favours from years gone by.
Also got my inline skates for venturing places quicker than walking.
Been there. Done that. I think I even got the Tshirt.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only good thing is its stored in the warehouse at work and the rac are recovering it to the garage Monday where its getting fixed hopefully 🤞

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Does anyone know what else the cause could be. Swapped the whole pump unit and still the same error with it not working.
Fuses seem fine apparently on a 56 reg is there any in the boot apparrently mechanic says no.
Also says the diagnostics won't talk to the steering ecu.
This has gone on for over a week now and I'm honestly sick!

I've read it could be a pipe but he thinks its all electrical and nothing else.

Any help would be great.
Thanks
David

Edit*

Found on a 2005 Peugeot 407 that there is a 70amp fuse under the main fuse box for the power steering pump. Anyone have any experience with this hidden fuse box?

Thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
Does anyone know what else the cause could be. Swapped the whole pump unit and still the same error with it not working.
Fuses seem fine apparently on a 56 reg is there any in the boot apparrently mechanic says no.
Also says the diagnostics won't talk to the steering ecu.
This has gone on for over a week now and I'm honestly sick!

I've read it could be a pipe but he thinks its all electrical and nothing else.

Any help would be great.
Thanks
David

Edit*

Found on a 2005 Peugeot 407 that there is a 70amp fuse under the main fuse box for the power steering pump. Anyone have any experience with this hidden fuse box?

Thanks
What fault are you getting?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No power steering stop on the dash.
Rac said it was the steering pump so put another one on and garage said same problem.
Also said checked fuses etc and diagnostics wont talk to steering ecu?
Bit stuck as the problem depending where you read has different answers. Some say pipes and one says a 70amp fuse with a bad connection. God knows

·
Registered
209 Posts
No power steering stop on the dash.
Rac said it was the steering pump so put another one on and garage said same problem.
Also said checked fuses etc and diagnostics wont talk to steering ecu?
Bit stuck as the problem depending where you read has different answers. Some say pipes and one says a 70amp fuse with a bad connection. God knows
Have you turned the steering wheel without the pump ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Without the pump on the car?
I havent. But the wheels been turned while the pump was all still attached but faulting as I needed to get it on the flatbed

·
Registered
209 Posts
Without the pump on the car?
I havent. But the wheels been turned while the pump was all still attached but faulting as I needed to get it on the flatbed
The fault your getting could be the anglesensor. When I changed the steeringrack on my car, i had the steeringcolumn disconnected, and the alligment was off. It is fairly easy to fix.
There ate several videos on youtube.
Your car doesnt have a powersteering ecu

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are no fault codes on the diagnostics. Its like the steering doesnt exist.
And the car prior to the fault never had the steering turned while the car was off to my knowledge. Well I've never done it.

It worked driving to work no issues at all then car was parked for 4 hours then as soon as i turned it on to go out for lunch the warning flashed up before I had even moved the car.
The rack has never been touched and neither has the steering wheel been removed.
Although I did have new lower suspension arms both sides at Xmas I cant see the problem starting 7 month later?
Thanks for confirming no steering ecu.

Mechanic is checking out the 70amp fuse another post has mentioned and then we can always try a new angle sensor.
Apart from that no clue as the rack isn't leaking and hasn't been off the car.
Cars are annoying. Well mine is. Think its had work done every year one thing or another.

·
Registered
209 Posts
There are no fault codes on the diagnostics. Its like the steering doesnt exist.
And the car prior to the fault never had the steering turned while the car was off to my knowledge. Well I've never done it.

It worked driving to work no issues at all then car was parked for 4 hours then as soon as i turned it on to go out for lunch the warning flashed up before I had even moved the car.
The rack has never been touched and neither has the steering wheel been removed.
Although I did have new lower suspension arms both sides at Xmas I cant see the problem starting 7 month later?
Thanks for confirming no steering ecu.

Mechanic is checking out the 70amp fuse another post has mentioned and then we can always try a new angle sensor.
Apart from that no clue as the rack isn't leaking and hasn't been off the car.
Cars are annoying. Well mine is. Think its had work done every year one thing or another.
Hmmm
I just remebered a Citroen C5 I worked on a while ago, it also showed power steering not working, amongst several other issues.
Changed the battery and everything was working again.
Maybe ghat is the same in Your case.
Check the battery

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its the cost and even being able to take the new battery back if it doesn't fix it as no point forking money out and then keeping the parts if it doesn't fix it.

Will check it out as well since it has done a lot of short runs over lockdown as well on a heavy diesel 2.2.

I hate cars. Give me my civic back before I put the 2nd set of coilovers on lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heres one for you.
He checked for the 70amp I seen in another post and there isn't one in my car. What's new everything is odd in my car.
So he pulled all of them out from under the engine fuse box after disconnecting the battery and put them back and now it works. So either the new pump needed a reset or it was some gremlin thats been deleted.
He had to clear some codes too but now it works. So strange.
Sometimes cars have a mind of their own!

Thanks for your help mate. I will keep those in mind if it happens again thats for sure specially the battery.

·
Registered
893 Posts
BSI sometimes stops something from operating if it determines a fault has occurred to protect it. Battery reset would reinitialise the BSI and make it forget that something might be broken. Or clearing the codes too would work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it was stuck then that makes sense. Old pump broke swapped but thinks its still the old pump. Pulled everything and reset and now fine if anything it feels lighter than before. Which can only be a good thing too.
I'm just glad to have freedom again. Been a nightmare and I've been so worked up specially today when it initially didn't fix.

Thanks again for your help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts