Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I have a 52 plate pug 406 diesel 2.0l rapier, the power steering has become slightly heavy, when i turn the steering wheel, its as if its sticking then free then sticking and so on when im turning? any ideas folks???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quinny, thanks for swift reply, I should have said I have checked fluid and its ok? thinking it might be the power steering pump, but dont want to buy that, just incase someone on here maybe had the same problem and it might be something else cheers, Rab.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Could either be the rack or the pump really. Hard to tell which off of that info though.

Does it do it at specific points on its travel, for example on my old car it had a clunk similar to what you suggest and this was on the first turn of the lock around 3 o clock. That was the rack.

If its a specific point its likely to be the rack. Is the steering pump on a diff belt to the alt and that belt has snapped? Or of course could be the pump. Don't know how you could really test the pump though. It could be taken off and inspected. It may have a stiff part on its travel but I would imagine that would cause other problems such as the belt snapping.

I reckon it'll end up being your rack, and you don't want that, lol. Rack's are a bitch to get out due to the access or lack thereof.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roy, thanks for taking the time to respond, there is no clunking at all, if i were to turn the steering fully to the left then the right, (its quite hard to explain,) its free, then it tightens up slightly, then free, it turns freely for quarter turn then the next quarter is like there is no power steering and so on, not very clear I know, but thats the best explanation, the fluid is fine and the belts are all intact? mystery!
thanks again Rab.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the steering problem has been resolved, it was a steering coupling which is situated at the foot of the steering column, where it joins on to the steering rack, there is a kind of joint there which was ceased up, making the steering tight, thanks for the replies ;-)

·
Registered
184 Posts
rabarab said:
the steering problem has been resolved, it was a steering coupling which is situated at the foot of the steering column, where it joins on to the steering rack, there is a kind of joint there which was ceased up, making the steering tight, thanks for the replies ;-)
You know I almost mentioned the U joint but I thought. Nahhhhhhhh, couldn't be the U joint. LOL. Sometimes it can be the simplest things.

You lucky beggar

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well at least its not a to big job, the new part, was quoted from peugoet dealer at £112 + vat, but iam replacing the car shortly, so i decided on a 2nd hand part taken off and delivered to my home within 24hrs for £36, happy chappy :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steering issue

I have a Peugeot Partner 1.6 diesel van - A problem has appeared with the steering - when I turn the steering wheel (either direction) there is a bad vibration/rattle in the front wheel. Checked all the obvious causes but nothing there. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
406 Peugeot diesel

I had loss of power steering whilst taking a bend on roundabout managed to stop - noticed great loss of oil under back of car. Had Peugeot trucked back to my home. Mechanic at loss to know what to fix. Is there a solution???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts