Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 207 1.6hdi on a 57 plate, I've been having issues with notchy power steering where it seems to stick or stop working for an instant when at slow speeds and menouvering into parking spaces etc. This has been intermittant & may happen for a few days then stop happening for a while.

It's been back to the dealer three times, twice they couldn't find a fault, last time they experienced what I've described above and swapped out the steering rack (not sure if it was just the rack or if the power steering motor is part of the same unit). I've had the car back for a week and to be fair it seems to have made matters worse: the steering feels gererally harder and seems to tighten up when cornering, the notchyness at low speeds is also still there intermittantly.

I'm going to take it back & do some shouting but before I do has anyone else had the same experiences & were they resolved (and if so, how) or are there any experts on here who can give advice?

Many thanks...

G

·
It's an electro hydraulic set up, so oodles of potential causes. This systems generally proven quite reliable on most pugs, and I've not yet encountered this on a 207.

Good luck chum - shout loud, cos the PSA warranty department are chumps if my dealings are anything to go by.

G

·
Ps

Is there any ABS or powersteering light that comes on intermittantly. The Abs ecu carries signals from the steering ecu.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bluetyler said:
Make sure the tyre pressures are spot on as this has caused a couple of issues with us recently.
Will check tyre pressures to see if that helps, would this affect the power steering?

No warning lights on the dashboard either.

Have also noticed that there's a loud rubbing noise when at full lock to the left - had a look earlier on and the black grommit that holds the wheel arch cover is knackered & there's also missing paint down to the bare bodywork where the tyre/wheel has rubbed. This didn't happen before the dealer changed the steering rack so I can only assume that something hasn't been adjusted correctly when they put the steering back together again.

Car is going back on Thursday, any advice???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
baloo2 said:
Will check tyre pressures to see if that helps, would this affect the power steering?

No warning lights on the dashboard either.

Have also noticed that there's a loud rubbing noise when at full lock to the left - had a look earlier on and the black grommit that holds the wheel arch cover is knackered & there's also missing paint down to the bare bodywork where the tyre/wheel has rubbed. This didn't happen before the dealer changed the steering rack so I can only assume that something hasn't been adjusted correctly when they put the steering back together again.

Car is going back on Thursday, any advice???

Update:

Checked front tyre pressures & they were pretty much half of what they should have been (it'd come back from the dealer like this) Pumped them back up & hey presto, sloppy steering has stopped.

Car went back to the dealer to get the loud rubbing noise sorted & they admitted that the tracking was out & that the steering rack & steering column needed re-aligning. Had this done & also the wheelarch resprayed but they offered no apology for letting the car leave their workshop like this in the first place: Everything seems really 'matter of fact' with them...

·
Registered
134 Posts
steering

hi,,good to see it's fixed.
these have a torque sensor within the steering as they are fully electric.
so the tyre pressure's is critical on these as they see extra load if slightly flat tyres.

toddy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts