Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 306 XRD 1.9

The leak doesnt come from the power steering hydraulic fluid reservoir or the rubber piping. I can’t see it from where it comes out but it looks as if feeds into somewhere at the bottom of the engine and then it seems to be coming from that unit.

Any ideas as to what the problem is and how much I am looking to pay for getting this fixed?

any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
862 Posts
Tens said:
1996 306 XRD 1.9

The leak doesnt come from the power steering hydraulic fluid reservoir or the rubber piping. I can’t see it from where it comes out but it looks as if feeds into somewhere at the bottom of the engine and then it seems to be coming from that unit.

Any ideas as to what the problem is and how much I am looking to pay for getting this fixed?

any help greatly appreciated
Hi and welcome to the forum :thumb:

You could have a faulty power steering pump or power steering ram. If you can get under the car SAFELY and have a look for obvious signs of a leak,possibly corroded pipes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would you say it is drivable without any fluid in at all, im guessing it is but the steering will be very tough.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Tens said:
would you say it is drivable without any fluid in at all, im guessing it is but the steering will be very tough.
Would put additional stress on to your steering,also wouldnt want to think what your insuarnce company would say,if god forbid you had a accident.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha was just wondering about getting it to the garage.

thanks for your help

Ian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi chaps,

I have just done a search in google for something very similar to this thread - so I thought I would register and let you know of my experiences...!

I was 300 miles away from home on Sun night and got in my Peugeot 306 1.4 LX to drive home.

First thing I noticed was how heavy the car was... I assumed that I had punctures in the front tyres. So I got out and had a look. All fine. So it was def the power steering.

For the past few weeks I had been aware of a strange noise like water at boiling point just behind the dash when accelerating away in 1st or 2nd gear. Thought nothing of it.

Anyway, I popped the bonnet and saw oil splashed all over the place, covered the engine and all its periverals. The PAS reservoir was dry. I consulted a mate told him the dilemma and decided to risk a careful drive home (300 miles!).

Once up to speed not much steering is necessary and so was not to bad.

Anyway, took it to the main dealer yesterday and they investigated. Turned out to be a failure between the pipe to the pump and the sensor. £55 to get it fixed inc VAT and fluid! Touch. Was preparing myself for the worst and thought a new pump would be a minimum requirement.

Anyway, the garage had to order the part in and was told would be ready today. They strongly advised me to leave the car with them and not drive it anywhere as it could ruin the pump and rack. Also, they told me the oil is flammable as well as poisonous!

Seems I was very lucky and no further damage was done.

Regards,

Haitch

·
Registered
2 Posts
Power steering

Power steering oil is frothing up in the reservoir of my 407. Any ideas of what to check? Hope you can help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts