Peugeot Forums banner

Power steering fluid forced out of reservoir

58K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Stepanovski 
#1 ·
Small but messy leak- PAS fluid level is just a little too high, about 10mm, but bubbles out through the air vent in the cap. Steering works about 90% i.e. manageable but not perfect. Grateful for any help..

(thought I posted this earlier but it disappeared).

G
#2 ·
How have you judged that the steering works 90% and that its manageable?
I can't see how an excess in fluid which bubbles out the top would do anything to the performance of the steering, as there is still the fluid it needs for the pump :confused:

#3 ·
Nothing precise, 90% was just to give an idea- occasional stiffness when turning sharp corner, like the PAS is doing most of the work but a bit less than normal. Manageable because right now it doesn't affect control in any way. With no experience of working on PAS I'm guessing- is it possible that air is being introduced into the fluid, so the level (when it settles) looks Ok or a little too high?

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks... please take a look at http://cid-110ecf7e446877f7.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?page=play&resid=110ECF7E446877F7!372. I'm an enthusiastic DIY er but no mechanic, so don't want to start what i can't finish. Is the pipe sold separately, with the normal star drive Pug bolts attaching either end?
2 pipes here, which one please?
The pump looks like something achievable but the steering rack... ! I'd rather take it in for repair than have an unsuccessful poke at it:nono:

G
#8 ·
toddy2 said:
hi,its a longer pipe and has a damping valve within it.:)

toddy
It stops the fluid being aerated. A simple cure to this problem and not having to fit the modified pipes is to over fill the reservoir and bleed the steering system as follows.
1. overfill the reservoir by about 1 and a half inches above max level.
2. bleed the system by turning the steering near to each lock a few time. Note do not go to full lock.
3. Run engine for 15 min to further bleed out.
4. Test drive and check.

#10 ·
davidireland said:
It stops the fluid being aerated. A simple cure to this problem and not having to fit the modified pipes is to over fill the reservoir and bleed the steering system as follows.
1. overfill the reservoir by about 1 and a half inches above max level.
2. bleed the system by turning the steering near to each lock a few time. Note do not go to full lock.
3. Run engine for 15 min to further bleed out.
4. Test drive and check.
Hello!

I have the same problem. Peugeot 307 Sw 2004 80 000 km
The steeringwheel is verry stiff.

Then I changed the pump an after the new pump
The steering is working OK when I am driving but when I am trying to park the car the steering wheel is still very stiff.

Are there anu solutions for this ??

Göran Svensson

#11 ·
Svensson said:
Hello!

I have the same problem. Peugeot 307 Sw 2004 80 000 km
The steeringwheel is verry stiff.

Then I changed the pump an after the new pump
The steering is working OK when I am driving but when I am trying to park the car the steering wheel is still very stiff.

Are there anu solutions for this ??

Göran Svensson
Have you checked the level of your PAS fluid. That is exactly how mine was. It never occured to me the it would be the fluid as it only seem stiff on the left turn when parking etc. It was only after a while that I started having probs steering whilst at normal speeds and i thought to check the fluid which was way too low. It looked like it had been bubbling over and leaking out. After reading forum I thought I would need a new pump or steering rack but I just followed the advice above. I over filled and turned to near lock a few times and left engine running a while. It's been a month or two now with no further probs on normal driving or parking.

#12 ·
I had the same problem on my Pug 407 2.0HDI and solved it very easy. I drained out the old fluid from the system and pour in new Total Fluide DA (less than 1 liter). No bubbling of fluid anymore, nice and smooth movement.

I was surprised that this solved my problem as I was already getting ready to look for new pump.

Cheers!

#13 ·
I have 407 sedan with 2.0L engine, based on serial number, it is from the latest face lift serie. My problem is light vibrarion and noise when steering at low speed.

There is lot of discussion on forums that there is available modified high pressure pipe 4014FN ( left hand ride ). Does this pipe fits to all Peugeot 407 models?

Existing pipe has part number 9656033780 and body has code VF36DRFJC21767636.

-M

#17 ·
For me it doesn't help, As soon as temperature is below 8-9C it starts happening,
Last year I poured like half a liter of that fluid, and it doesnt matter how much I add it will always bubble it away I might try changing the fluid, before I go with replacing that pipe.

#18 ·
Same was happening to me, after changing oil in the whole system solved problem for me, after changing fluid, i filled little bit over max line and now everything is working nice. Before that, what seemed like a fix for the problem was poring oil inside the pump while it is working. But that is just a fast fix if you are going somewhere. After turning off the engine, oil starts to bubble again.

Again, changing oil in the system and filling it over max solved the problem for me.

Hope this helps

#20 ·
I replaced the the oil in the system, and it didn't change a thing :/

is there anyone who understands French that can help with explaining what happened on this video? (other than topping up the fluid)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baJY5Qow2k8
you could sue the auto subtitle translator in setting HD or sure i have seen a English guy with the same kind of problem on you tube

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.