Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I had my steering rack out of my 407 2.0 HDi (2004) to be reconditioned, the steering has been rubbish. It feels exceptionally light (Punto light) and seems to jerk around the place while making small turns, especially when turning right on a roundabout. The wheel seems to want to turn back left.

Now my actual front wheels have some small deformaties on them and I reckon they deformaties are pushing the steering around because the mechanic put in some generic power steering fluid instead of the TOTAL FLUIDE DA

Sound like a reasonable conclusion?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The fluid wont make much difference if anything I would expect it to make NO difference :)

Was the tracking checked after replacement ?

What was the original fault with the rack ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read somewhere here that the wrong fluid could make a difference.

My original fault was a leak. Steering was perfect before hand, but after putting it back, with generic fluid, it was super light.

Tracking, balancing all done.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Peugeot say the fluid matters but to be honest we had a rack reconed in 1 of our 59 reg taxis and the recon place put normal dextron fluid in and it has been fine

Peugeots fluid is thinner but I doubt it is essential does your car have a sensor for variable rate on the rack maybe its not connected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts