Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly Happy Christmas and a joyful New Year :thumb:

Started car this morning and nice welcome warning "Power Steering Faulty".

I have checked the level and about 2mm below the max. No frothing, can't see any leaks anyway from any pipes.

The warning has gone, but as we all know these things come back with a massive fail. Last time this happened (on my previous Vectra C), the steering pump failed.

I have looked around the forum and a bit lost as to what I should do/check next. Any advice please?

Thanks.

(407 SE 2.O HDI)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't know if the pump is located in drivers side front bumper in front of the wheel. Had this problem with my Citroen C5 and it was caused by two wires scruffed against screen washer fluid tank and they were shorting out. The only issues were the warning on the info screen and annoying beep.

It is a known problem atleast with Citroen C5, but can't remember if 407 also has the electric pump on power steering.

The fix is to simply replace the broken part on wire.

C

·
0 Posts
I got the same warning a year or two ago always on start up and it'd go straight away plus it wouldn't happen all the time. Battery failed sometime after, replaced battery and never had warning since.

·
5,087 Posts
I got this message a few times before but since i replaced the duff battery i don't remember it happening

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, since I got a new battery replaced it's all be fine.

Did cost me £128 from Halfords though, but had no choice as needed it sorting quick as was about to drive £110 miles. :eek:

Thanks for all your advice. :thumb:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got this message a few times before but since i replaced the duff battery i don't remember it happening
Hi...
What you mean by "duff batery""?
Is that main batery (acumulator) or some other batery in the car? Seems I am loosing something in translate.

All best

·
5,087 Posts
Duff battery just means battery that is not any good anymore/useless

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had the same. Replaced battery and it went away.

Fun when bump starting the car. You get it going but the power steering won't work, but then you can't turn it off to reset it.

If you watch battery terminal voltage when you turn the wheel, it's apparent the unit pulls quite a lot of current.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts