Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 2.2 Hdi is losing coolant (slowly). There is a little steam coming from the oil filler cap and after running the car for 30mins there is a release of pressure when I open the expansion tank screw top.

There is no obvious wetness from inside the engine bay.
As yet no "mayonnaise" build up inside the oil filler cap.

Any other things I should consider? Is my guess as to the Head Gasket way off mark?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Diesels dont make mayonnaise on the cap with gasket failure as it only pressurises the coolant it does not mix oil and water some pressure is normal when cap removed

Its not going to be steam coming from oil filler just fumes

Gasket failure on these is not really that common to be honest i would be checking the cooling pipes thoroughly for a small leak favourites are oil cooler pipes at front of block and the heater feeds where they go on the EGR cooler.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Diesels dont make mayonnaise on the cap with gasket failure as it only pressurises the coolant it does not mix oil and water some pressure is normal when cap removed

Its not going to be steam coming from oil filler just fumes

Gasket failure on these is not really that common to be honest i would be checking the cooling pipes thoroughly for a small leak favourites are oil cooler pipes at front of block and the heater feeds where they go on the EGR cooler.
Sounds like good advice to me, did not know about the mayo issue not appearing in diesels. Will have a closer look at the pipes when the service comes up shortly.

Many Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.