Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, recently bought a 56plate 407sw 20HDi 136 and the MPG seems really poor. Latest figures showing on the computer are about 28.5mpg . The car does do a lot of around town driving but would still expect more than that.
Car has done 71k, has full service history and seems to have been looked after.
I've checked for errors with a ELM327 fault code reader and none are showing.
Also, just bought a new air filter which I will fit this weekend, but is there anything else I can check or clean whilst I'm under the bonnet ?
Also, what MPG should I expect for general around town driving ?
thanks

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Higher than 28! That is really low. Have you checked obvious things like binding brakes? Does it perform how it should? Apart from a touch of turbo lag they go pretty well. AFAIK crap mpg could point to a dodgy maf.
I'm getting about 700 miles a tank on my current 407. Low 50s I think.
Thats town use and about 90 miles a week A road.
A generic code reader can miss codes so a proper Peugeot scan could potentially flag up an issue.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a 56 407sw 2.0 136 with 80k on the clock and over the 1200 miles I've driven since I've had it, I am averaging around 31 so not a big difference to your figures - average speed of 22mph as it's mainly town driving. I do think I have an issue with the turbo or intercooler which I'm hoping might improve things a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the service history, it was service about 5k ago by Main agent, albeit an Arnold Clark one.

I use 2 stroke in the other car we have, only because the previous owner used it so I have carried it on and he said it had made a difference.

I can understand how air filter and MAF making a difference, but how can the oil and fuel filters make a difference?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello, recently bought a 56plate 407sw 20HDi 136 and the MPG seems really poor. Latest figures showing on the computer are about 28.5mpg . The car does do a lot of around town driving but would still expect more than that.
Car has done 71k, has full service history and seems to have been looked after.
I've checked for errors with a ELM327 fault code reader and none are showing.
Also, just bought a new air filter which I will fit this weekend, but is there anything else I can check or clean whilst I'm under the bonnet ?
Also, what MPG should I expect for general around town driving ?
thanks
hi
I live the isle of man no motorways all local driving as you can see from my average mph 27 and I get 45-46 mpg Peugeot 407 SW 2.0GT manual done 150k

Attachments

C

·
0 Posts
According to the service history, it was service about 5k ago by Main agent, albeit an Arnold Clark one.

I use 2 stroke in the other car we have, only because the previous owner used it so I have carried it on and he said it had made a difference.

I can understand how air filter and MAF making a difference, but how can the oil and fuel filters make a difference?
Oil Filter - Dirty & Clogged up then Dirty / Old Oil Increased friction in engine etc less performance

Fuel Filter - Dirty / Clogged up Reduced fuel pressure etc engine has reduced performance due to lack of fuel. :thumb:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Higher than 28! That is really low. Have you checked obvious things like binding brakes? Does it perform how it should? Apart from a touch of turbo lag they go pretty well. AFAIK crap mpg could point to a dodgy maf.
I'm getting about 700 miles a tank on my current 407. Low 50s I think.
Thats town use and about 90 miles a week A road.
A generic code reader can miss codes so a proper Peugeot scan could potentially flag up an issue.

I can only dream of that. I'm only getting 30-35 round town at moment (hilly). Cleaned MAF, no faults showing. Average speed is only 12-18mph during the week work and back though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My computer is showing 30.6 mpg atm, dpf is a bit sooty so will need cleaning maybe changing, full service needed too.

Car is 2004 54 407sw 2.0 HDi 140. On the motorway the computer shows 47mpg, so I think the 2.0 is just a bit crappy at town driving with the dpf due to it being a terrible piece of design :nono: they don't cost much to change though tbf :thumb:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Actually I got the de pollution fault today and my MPG was at 30. Just as I was getting on the motorway the fan kicked in at the lights so I knew it was going into regen mode. I blasted it for a good half hour at 3000 revs. The MPG went back up to well over 40 and now getting 37-40 on average round town and it pulls better so maybe filter was getting blocked. I put it on planet when I got home and 3 fault showed up:

Turbo Pressure, airflow and temp sensor I think (can't remember exact codes now). I cleared them all and not returned yet and warning has gone. Possibly linked to DPF I hope or perhaps another problem?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't have the light, but the other day the battery went flat (long story) and it gave me a 'water in particle filter' message? It then went all stroppy and felt like it was going to stall, then the computer raised the revs on its own, when driving it the throttle input was very abrupt, not smooth at all. When I completed my journey and switched it off, still concerned, I left it alone all day. When I started it up again to get home from uni, it was fine and has been since.

Today I shoved some wynns dpf cleaner in the tank, worth a go for £6 :thumb: Seems to have some efficacy with other diesel owners on forums so wth :rolleyes:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I always think to compare MPG it's best to do it on a long run at 60mph, if you get somewhere near the max expected figure for your car then probably not much wrong.

I used to have a 6 mile trip to work with 18 sets of traffic lights, all 30 and 40 limits, average speed 10-12mph. Had several; debates with people over my fuel consumption, barely got over 20mpg out of a 1.3 metro at the time.

It's so debatable what around town is, if you had say a one mile section on the way into town where you could maintain a constant 40-50mph that would drastically increase the 'around town' figure........

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yeah around town is a tough one to quantify - my main drive every day, home-work or work-home is 4 miles, but in that 4 miles, I have 9 roundabouts, speedbumps for the first and third miles, and 5 or 6 junctions where I DON'T have right of way (plus a few more where I do) - there's one stretch of maybe 1/2 a mile where you can get into 4th, or 5th at a push but from an MPG point of view, it's a NASTY drive :s

·
Registered
394 Posts
Official figures for a 407sw 2.0 HDi 136 6MT [Manual] are

Urban:- 35.7
Extra Urban:- 56.5
Combined:- 47.1

I'm getting

Urban :- 28
Extra Urban:- 45
Combined: 37

I'm willing to give the car a chance with a full service, more injector cleaner, clean dpf out and a few thousand miles more use, but if it doesn't improve; it's going on the basis that I only bought it because I heard good things about 2.0 HDi mpg, but I suspect serious lack of use might have something to do with it :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts