Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am currently looking a buying a used 307 around 51 or 52 plate.

It would be the 2.0ltr diesel engine I am after.

Just wondered what the most common faults on these that I should be looking out for.

I see a lot of mentions around the web of flywheel & clutch problems with the 307.

Is there a sure fire way to tell if the flywheel or clutch has a problem?

Any other pointers really would be appreciated.

Regards..,

MT

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
Hi,

I am currently looking a buying a used 307 around 51 or 52 plate.

It would be the 2.0ltr diesel engine I am after.

Just wondered what the most common faults on these that I should be looking out for.

I see a lot of mentions around the web of flywheel & clutch problems with the 307.

Is there a sure fire way to tell if the flywheel or clutch has a problem?

Any other pointers really would be appreciated.

Regards..,

MT
As with many french cars make sure electrics are ok.

As far as the flywheel goes, check for vibration when pulling away and squeaks and rattles. Ideally it would have a conversion to a solid flywheel done but most modern diesels suffer from flywheel issues, not just 307's.

The other thing is, on the 110bhp engine there's a diesel particulate filter in the exhaust. Sometimes these can give bother but it's not the hardest thing to sort. The 90bhp engine doesn't have one so you may consider it, and if you want more power a remap.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Go for a 1.4hdi and remap it , you`ll have a car with same power as a 2.0 but you`ll have no DMF and no Fap filter , plus it will be £30 a year to tax.:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
Go for a 1.4hdi and remap it , you`ll have a car with same power as a 2.0 but you`ll have no DMF and no Fap filter , plus it will be £30 a year to tax.:thumb:
Good advice!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Personally, I would buy a Vauxhall Astra.

If I recall, Peugeot came out bottom of the Top Gear car test - in terms of reliability - in fact most French manufacturers did. I should have taken more notice of the results.

In my experience, the survey results were spot on.

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
In clanless' experience fair enough. In mine? Buy away! My '03 307 was perfect in every way. The '05 car with the newer engine? Parcel of dung! I know folk with good 307's and bad. I know folk with Astra's which are perfect and ones that are bad! Everyone I know with a 2.0 TDI VW group car has had to replace the turbo and with a 1.9 TDI has had throttle pedal and flywheel issues! It really is luck of the draw although admittedly Peugeots can have their fair share of bother but I love 'em!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would run a mile and choose another car since buying my 307 last year it was £3100 has been in a garage for most of the year and have spent about £900 so far and have just been told that there is something else wrong and its gonna be around £2000 to sort it, the electrics are all to pot the horn has recently stopped working and a few other things.

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
Horn is a very common problem. A lot of people just put a button on the dash. The hub in the steering wheel tends to fail. Actually it's the earth in the hub. Easy fix once you get the airbag off.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Name me any other car that any off you have owned that you have sold with 256,000 miles and still driving great ,

1.4hdi 307 2002 :thumb::p

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Got fairly close to that (210k) in a 'G' reg Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8 petrol. Problem was that the body rusted away so it had to be scrapped.

Sod this - I'm getting a lease BMW in September - someone else can worry about reliability issues.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Don`t take this the wrong way but the fella that i do work for now and again and who does all the remapping in this area says BMW`s are sh*t , but if it`s a lease who cares.:lol:

J

·
0 Posts
All cars are trouble, only difference with the Pugs are they are comparatively cheap compared to what are supposed to be more superior VW, Audi & BMW

·
Registered
62 Posts
yeah the hdi engines are among the best diesels around, pick of the bunch for less headaches is the 90bhp 2L, no Dual mass flywheel or particle filter, quite zippy too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts